TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: What hardware are you using?  (Read 26107 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
What hardware are you using?
« on: March 14, 2011, 01:59:10 PM »
I think that it's high time that we find out what the members here are using to play tapes with.
This isn't just for Tape Project subscribers (but it would be cool if you could mention if you are) but for anyone who wishes to post.
Please state the machine type, the head configurations, stock or after market heads, the playback electronics used and any "special" adapters/cabling that you employ.

Technics RS1500 with Flux Mag. Extended Response 1/2 track playback head (other heads stock) Bottlehead Repro.
Tape Project subscriber.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 03:20:35 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
Re: What hardware are you using?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 02:33:04 PM »
From my ATR Services invoice:

"ATR Services- Ampex ATR102, 1/4", 2 channel studio tape recorder-reproducer. Unit is re-manufactured to new asset
condition. It is supplied ready for rack mounting. Unit is supplied with new Flux Magnetics mastering series Hy-Mu tape
heads.

Modify the recorder for operation with Doc Bottlehead electronics. Modification includes installation of custom tape head cables
terminated to RCA male pin plugs. Installation of low current silver contact head switch located in the head block assembly. This modification will permit listening to either the standard ATR102 playback amplifiers or the Bottlehead amplifier.

ATR Services, low capacitance Teflon dielectric tape head cables.

Flux Magnetics Playback head, 1/4", quarter track, new.

Installation of switch on head block to select quarter track or two track. Custom switch and hardware"

Bottlehead Repro
Tape Project Sudscriber.
Xavier Cortes

Offline Teeg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 05:29:30 PM »
   ATR-800 1/4", converted from 1/2" four-channel by ATR Services. All three heads NOS Ampex, electronics are stock. Direct-head output wired from headblock but have not tried other electronics. Cabled to preamp by Mogami XLR.

Previously mentioned capstan-less Studer A80 VU MKII, stock electronics, two track playback on stock heads, 1/4 track Flux Magnetics playback head mod by JRF Magnetics with headblock mounted gold switch.  Photo here:

https://sites.google.com/site/twotracktape/_/rsrc/1300144148506/temp/studerA80.JPG

Ampex 300-2  7.5 & 15 IPS playback only machine with both AG350 (NAB & IEC) and 350 (Tube, NAB only) electronics. Custom headstack in the works containing two playback heads for listening with either electronics. Viscous damper as on MR-70. Tentrol constant tension kit on supply reel. Mounted in rack swiped from Sonicraft. Currently under rebuild, transport almost ready, working on electronics. Cables are various Ampex/SignalCable/Mogami.

Photo here:

https://sites.google.com/site/twotracktape/_/rsrc/1300144127902/temp/300Ampex.JPG

Ampex MR-70 1/4" two track, currently undergoing restoration, plan is to keep everything on this stock.

Not currently a TP subscriber, hope to fix that soon.

TJ

« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 06:30:11 PM by Teeg »
T.j. Bassi  
    Martin Logan reQuests....Martin Logan Descent x 2....Atma-Sphere MA1 OTL amplification....Krell KPS25s digital front end....VPI Scoutmaster....Studer A80 VU MKII....Ampex 300-2 Tube/SS Playback "Ampexius Maximus"....Ampex MR-70

Offline deeng

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 05:59:23 PM »
Studer A80 with ATR Services Aria playback electronics and Flux Magnetics head.  I'm a tape project subscriber.
Scott Dean

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 08:32:09 PM »
Studer A820, 2 track, 1/2" and 1/4" record and repro, stock electronics, TP subscriber :-)
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline cvandyke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 08:19:24 AM »
I'm currently using an Otari MX5050BII direct to a seduction-like tape head preamp. I'm working on an Otari MTR-10II which I have fully functional but still tweaking. I have a mostly built Eros preamp to go with it; hopefully both will be done soon. Oddly, Otari machines keep showing up for free or very inexpensively and I can't seem to turn them away. TP subscriber.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 08:21:39 AM by cvandyke »
____
Chris Van Dyke

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 09:54:10 AM »
Stock Technics RS1520 that is connected to my Simaudio I-7, for TP tapes (Yes, I am a subscriber). I am certain that I am going to do an upgrade, at some point, but I think a little room correction/enhancement followed by a speaker upgrade will happen first. I am personally not crazy about the Technics tape path - I think it is a little harder to thread than other decks (although seeing Steve Koto aka Ironbut in action will leave you dumbfounded), so when I do get around to an upgrade my thought is to do something different.

ReVox A-77 (stock) for non TP tapes. That number of non TP tapes is dwindling as I discover more of my mid-70s Ampex tapes afflicted with tape squeal.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 10:18:10 AM »
Hmm, lessee,

There's my Ampex ATR 104 aka Curly, that was converted to 1/4" 2 track and now resides as a recording slave in the Tape Project duping line. The input circuitry has been streamlined and tweaked for the cleanest possible transfers. Don't ask, 'cause we won't tell exactly what we did...

The BottleNagra is a Nagra T Audio that has been modified to allow direct connection of the repro head to a Bottlehead Tube Repro with NAB/IEC/Nagramaster eq settings. This is the show dog that travels to CES, RMAF, Head-Fi meets, etc. to demo TP albums.

Right now there is a Bottlehead modified Technics RS1500 and a Bottlehead Eros tape head preamp sitting at Bottleheadquarters. I will probably keep this around for the modest collection of 1/4 track prerecorded tapes (maybe 100 reels?) I acquired back when people would just give them to me along with all those "old tubes that were my father's".

The latest addition to the stable is a Studer A80 VU MkII. It's a bit of an odd bird that Romo found, a 1" four track machine set up for 3.75 and 7.5 ips, that was used in the production of cassettes. It has been kludged with a set of 8 track heads for some reason. When I am done with it, it will be a 1" 2 track machine running 7.5 and 15 ips with Bottlehead playback electronics, for use with our 1" 2 track format 15 ips Tape Project running masters.

I also have a sweet old early 60s Telefunken/AEG tubed portable deck that I have restored to go with my restored 1958 Telefunken Salzburg console that resides in our living room. The tape deck is for show, but the tuner in the console is used every weekend for John Kessler's great blues show on KPLU.

A lot more machines have come thru the Chateau over the years, but that's pretty much what we have at the moment.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Teeg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 07:25:14 PM »

Doc said:

1" 2 track machine running 7.5 and 15 ips with Bottlehead playback electronics, for use with our 1" 2 track format 15 ips Tape Project running masters.

Whoa!

Now that's cool.........

Tj
T.j. Bassi  
    Martin Logan reQuests....Martin Logan Descent x 2....Atma-Sphere MA1 OTL amplification....Krell KPS25s digital front end....VPI Scoutmaster....Studer A80 VU MKII....Ampex 300-2 Tube/SS Playback "Ampexius Maximus"....Ampex MR-70

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 09:55:52 PM »
I can't tell a lie...

I just don't know where to start...
Ki Choi

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 10:18:49 PM »
I can't tell a lie...

ok Ki. we are all going to hold our breath until you list all your tape decks (including those in transit to you).

:)
Mike Lavigne

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 10:19:48 PM »
Ha-ha!
I was kinda wondering what you'd post when you saw this thread Ki.
Maybe picture(s) would be more appropriate in your case.

Go Blue Devils!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 05:22:12 PM »
I can't tell a lie...

ok Ki. we are all going to hold our breath until you list all your tape decks (including those in transit to you).

:)

Does thinking about getting a tape deck count Mike? :)
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 05:29:51 PM »
I think that it's high time that we find out what the members here are using to play tapes with.
This isn't just for Tape Project subscribers (but it would be cool if you could mention if you are) but for anyone who wishes to post.
Please state the machine type, the head configurations, stock or after market heads, the playback electronics used and any "special" adapters/cabling that you employ.

Technics RS1500 with Flux Mag. Extended Response 1/2 track playback head (other heads stock) Bottlehead Repro.
Tape Project subscriber.

I'm intensely jealous of all you guys (and gals?) who have the house/room/property for a nice studio machine or two or three (OK, a few dozen in Ki's instance :). Don't think I'll see one of those puppies until move out of Manhattan :(

Me I'm using a J-Corder/Bottlehead modded Technics 1500 running into either a BH Repro or C/K tape preamp. The C/K is also outfitted with Mundorf Au/Ag oil caps (very nice choice!). An unboxed Transparent Audio IC runs between the tape deck and tape preamp--though am constantly on the lookout for a better, low cap cable (Have a new, relatively unknown IC in mind that am now using as a phono cable that could be real promising in a 20 inch length). A Transparent Audio Reference MM2 IC runs between the tape preamp and my preamp.

Eventually, I'd like to have Charlie King swap out the heads in my Technics and install some Pro Nortronics heads. From what I've been able to hear, these heads are quieter, much more transparent, resolve more information, and have much tighter and deeper bass than the stock Technics headset.
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 08:44:19 PM »
I can't tell a lie...

That says it all!
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)