TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Demag  (Read 4065 times)

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
Demag
« on: March 19, 2011, 08:04:50 PM »
Today I decided to clean the heads and tape path on my Teac X-3. Now this machine has always stood on top of a file cabinet where it is at eye level. I replaced(cleaned the goo away with alchohol) the main belt when it first got here. But never looked at the heads with tape running across them. Well I did today and boy was the alignment off. So I visually set the heads as I listen. It was off balance with center imaging off to the right. Using the Balance control on my preamp I found the left to sound muffled compared to the right , which no amount of fiddling with head adjustments could fix. Then it dawned on me..
DEMAGNETISE THE HEADS
Now amazingly well balanced sweet open sound eminates from the speakers. If this thing can sound so good I can't wait to finish modding my Otari!
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
Re: Demag
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 11:14:58 PM »
Today I decided to clean the heads and tape path on my Teac X-3.

Was this the first time?

Then it dawned on me..
DEMAGNETISE THE HEADS
Now amazingly well balanced sweet open sound eminates from the speakers. If this thing can sound so good I can't wait to finish modding my Otari!

I learned that, too, the hard way.

Hyok (Tony) Kim,  yes, this is my real name.

Btw.  How do you know it's my real name?  Just because I say so?

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.