Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Nice tapes but...  (Read 3629 times)

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
Nice tapes but...
« on: March 23, 2011, 01:54:05 PM »
got lucky and scored the Ampex 351-2 positioned left of the wall clock yesterday at the Kearney Barton Studio in Seattle but what a place it was...!

This is to offset Steve's "Nice Studio but..." post.  Hope to bring us down to the reality...

Ki
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 01:57:46 PM by Ki Choi »
Ki Choi

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Nice tapes but...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 02:21:06 PM »
Holy freakin' cow!

" Now, where did I put that cue sheet?"
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 03:06:57 PM »
Man, you must have really wanted that Ampex. Hopefully you didn't have to get it through that nightmare to get it out of the building.
Looks like this is a shot of the same room three years ago

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=8719
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 04:13:44 PM »
By the time I got to the house on Monday, most of the big stuff including the mountains of tapes were gone or sold over the weekend. 

I then talked to Patti, the niece of Kearney, if anyone had bought the last Ampex standing in the back - It was still mounted in the rack but last two pieces at the bottom of the rack were missing (I don't know what they were).  She said a guy came to buy the rack mounted Ampex but saw the portable 351-2 set aside.  He wanted the portable version instead but found out someone had already bought it, got mad and left...

She did give me the blank reels and tapes that were not in the collection with the Ampex purchase.  The boxes of tapes and reels took up 1/2 of min van cargo spaces with just two front seat in place... I won't be buying any blank reels for a while. ;-)

Lastly, Patti had donated all the Kearney's tapes and record collections to the University of Washington earlier.  The collections were still in the house. She has to vacate the house by end of this month... she is to contact me if UW fail to show.  I have my fingers crossed and if it happens, i'll have to rent a U-Haul truck!
Ki Choi