Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Remote recording gallery  (Read 5625 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Remote recording gallery
« on: March 25, 2011, 11:41:26 PM »
I fool around with remote recording (in a very small way) and I'm always looking for stuff about it. I stumbled across the Aura Sonic site which has some very cool photos of their trucks, gear and events they've worked.
Check it out. Be sure and look at the "History" gallery. It just about makes my back ache to look at some of those set ups though!

http://www.aurasonicltd.com/gallery.html
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: Remote recording gallery
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 06:39:42 PM »
Can you say - a LOT of equipment?
I am most familiar with the sort of the stuff in their first truck. More what I was into in that day - but much smaller. I only had 4 track via 3340 or other similar / lesser machines.
Speaking of remote trucks, I posted here before regarding liking the sound of many Emmylou Harris albums recorded by the Enactron truck.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 12:03:44 AM »
Hey Steve,

I had you in mind when I posted the link.
I don't know about you, but those photos really makes me wanta get out there and do some recording (when it isn't raining at least!).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 12:25:05 PM »
Steve-

Thanks for the link to the gallery. Done my share of remote work, having spent the better part of 20 years following the Grateful Dead around, lugging ever more sophisticated portable rigs. Finally coming off the road in 2001 after making the post 1995 transition from the Dead to Phish. When I finally stopped live show taping, my rig was worth more than my vehicle: Matched pair of AKG 460s, matched pair of AKG 414s, an older pair of Nakamichi cm100 with the shotgun capsules> Grace Designs Lunatec V2 preamp>Apogee AD1000 a/d converter>Tascam DA P1 digital deck. All this cabled up with Audio Magic cables and running on Eco-charge rechargeable battteries, along with a 15 ft and a 20 ft mic stand with various mounts for different mic configurations.

It got to the point where going to shows was more like going to work. I do however, have a lot of great memories, lots of great tapes and met a lot of interesting folks along the way...
Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61
J-corder/Bottlehead Technics 1500>King/Cello pre, Bottlehead Seduction, Walker Audio Proscenium Gold Signature TT>Bluelectric Magic Diamond or Allnic Puritas>Allnic H3000 phono/L3000 line>KR Enterprises Antares>Kharma CE 2.2
Silent Source cable, Walker Audio Velocitors

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 04:53:19 PM »
Steve-

Thanks for the link to the gallery. Done my share of remote work, having spent the better part of 20 years following the Grateful Dead around, lugging ever more sophisticated portable rigs. Finally coming off the road in 2001 after making the post 1995 transition from the Dead to Phish. When I finally stopped live show taping, my rig was worth more than my vehicle: Matched pair of AKG 460s, matched pair of AKG 414s, an older pair of Nakamichi cm100 with the shotgun capsules> Grace Designs Lunatec V2 preamp>Apogee AD1000 a/d converter>Tascam DA P1 digital deck. All this cabled up with Audio Magic cables and running on Eco-charge rechargeable battteries, along with a 15 ft and a 20 ft mic stand with various mounts for different mic configurations.

It got to the point where going to shows was more like going to work. I do however, have a lot of great memories, lots of great tapes and met a lot of interesting folks along the way...

Then you'll like this Joe :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkfaXTTu-E8
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 05:53:09 PM »
Thanks for that link Myles. Hart is a total crack up!
I kinda got started live recording with the Dead too. I never had a nice "open" rig like Joe's or hooked into the sound board but it is tons of fun for me. Now I concentrate on jazz concerts and try and learn how to make the best of those recordings in post.

BTW, what's your TS handle Joe?
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 07:59:57 PM »
Steve-

Joe,

Thanks...the vicarious connection is wonderful :-)

Vbr,
Sam
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline JoeG

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 09:45:02 AM »
Myles - Thanks! Actually, I kinda WAS there for the lights, They were so damn good the last few years.

Steve- My handle was the same as the one I use on audiogoN now: slipknot1 (after the Dead tune)
Joe Galbraith
Charter sub #61
J-corder/Bottlehead Technics 1500>King/Cello pre, Bottlehead Seduction, Walker Audio Proscenium Gold Signature TT>Bluelectric Magic Diamond or Allnic Puritas>Allnic H3000 phono/L3000 line>KR Enterprises Antares>Kharma CE 2.2
Silent Source cable, Walker Audio Velocitors