Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: My new mx5050  (Read 3802 times)

Offline CanoeShop

• View Profile
    • Now The Morning
My new mx5050
« on: April 10, 2011, 09:00:50 PM »
So... To this point I've primarily been listening to 3 3/4ips 1/4 track tapes on an old akai reel to reel. While certain elements were quite nice, in general, it was semi-noisy (despite rigorous head cleaning - and the machine itself just powered on is noisy) and really didn't sound a whole lot better than my vinyl setup (at times perhaps worse). Seemed like tape was interesting, but I hadn't necessarily heard enough to be fully convinced. This week I came across an MX5050 BII, jumped on it, and spooled up one of the few 7 1/2ips tapes I have for the first time this evening. Now I see what people were talking about. Much much improved sound, and much less noise. The machine itself is vastly different - quiet, smooth, and far higher quality. I'm very very pleased, and can't believe how different the entire tape experience is with this machine.

I realize this post isn't necessarily informational - merely wishing to express my excitement with a community that can empathize. Thanks for getting me into all this...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 09:11:17 PM by CanoeShop »
Nick Barr
Artist, father, husband.

Otari MX5050>Bottlehead S.E.X. amp>DIY Voigt Pipes

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: My new mx5050
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 07:27:01 AM »
Welcome!
You will find that the quality of prerecorded tapes varies greatly. This was true of all forms of reel to reel and even cassette and 8 track. Much like other analog media including records, the care used in the mastering and duplication process makes a big difference!
Having said that, wait till you get a chance to hear a Tape Project tape! The wider track width, 15 ips speed and better EQ make it head and shoulders above anything but an actual master tape. Below that, there are some very good 2 track 7 1/2 ips  tapes out there, and some reasonable sounding  1/4 track 7 1/2 tapes too, some of the best with Dolby B noise reduction, and even some OK sounding 3 3/4 tapes, but those are generally at the point when the manufacturers stopped caring about the quality. The best 3 3/4 tapes are somewhere between the best and worst prerecorded cassettes IMHO. Paradoxically, the quality of prerecorded reel to reel became more compromised as production continued throughout the years, while cassette duplication technology continued to improve so at the end they were sounding as good or better than the last of the open reel tapes. Where all of this ranks vs. vinyl is a solid "it depends". Vinyl has other issues but can certainly be right "up there" if everything is "right".
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 07:29:34 AM by steveidosound »
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline CanoeShop

• View Profile
    • Now The Morning
Re: My new mx5050
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 09:35:23 PM »
Interesting - as most of the commercially released tapes I've acquired to this point are in fact 3 3/4ips. Perhaps that's some of the fidelity issue right there... Still keeping my eyes out for commercial 2 track tapes, though I will certainly be investing in a tape project tape or two (funds/wives permitting) now that I have a machine that is compatible. Can't wait for those series 3 titles to ship...
Nick Barr
Artist, father, husband.

Otari MX5050>Bottlehead S.E.X. amp>DIY Voigt Pipes