Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: A80 1"  (Read 9518 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
A80 1"
« on: April 28, 2011, 07:00:12 PM »
She's starting to come together. Capstan controller frequency adjusted for 7.5/15, motion sensor shutter replaced with correct style for 7.5/15, end of tape sensor bulb replaced, tape counter adjusted for 7.5/15, brakes adjusted, pinch roller engagement adjusted, push buttons dismantled, cleaned and polished to reduce razor slash, cover panels buffed with scotchbrite, all rusty panel screws replaced, and a pair of reel hold downs from ebay added. Next is the cabinet, which I think will get powder coat, then on to the custom playback head and new repro electronics.

When she's finished we'll have a little demo session at Bottleheadquarters.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 07:08:30 PM by docb »
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: A80 1"
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 07:38:55 PM »
Very cool!
I hope you're snapping plenty of pictures of the progress to share with us?
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 09:01:02 AM »
It has been so busy lately that, unfortunately, I haven't had the time available to document all that stuff. I've been working on it a little here and there when we get a breather. I do promise photos when we get the new repro electronics package worked out. I'm pretty sure it will be the only A80 around with a pair of 300Bs sticking out of the top. ;^)>
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 11:20:02 AM »
300b's?
Now I'm really curious!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline microstrip

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 01:29:34 PM »
An A80 with a pair of 300b's on top? Where are you hiding the other tubes? :-)

BTW, how did you manage to polish the razor slash on the panel?
Francisco

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 02:51:21 PM »
I will probably remove the existing doghouse and make an entirely new cabinet that will house playback electronics. I haven't attempted to remove the razor marks from the aluminum panels, just from the pushbuttons. The position of the splicing block meant that the razor would cut into the play button, and apparently tape was being cut from the pancake right at the supply reel, leaving some rather nasty marks on the panel. I just sanded the play button with various fine grits of sand paper to remove the deep scratches and then polished it. A green Scotchbrite pad helped a little to tone down the razor marks on the aluminum, and some 409 spray helped to clean the scratches so they didn't stand out as much. A new panel is probably the best solution.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 09:59:35 PM »
On plastic parts like the buttons I use acetone. OK calm down! I damp a cloth and swipe the surface, which can smooth most aberrations, the polish. Otherwise blot for a stippling effect, then sand and polish. Have revived O gauge cabooses, laptop skins, a Teac head cover. Anything that's the same color all the way thru.
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 01:29:27 AM »
Sounds kinda scary Neal but I'll try anything once!
I would imagine that once you get the deep scratches out, there's a variety of plastic polishes on the market. I recall there was a polish I used years ago on some pretty nasty looking dust covers on turntables that worked pretty well on swirls.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 10:16:21 AM »
Crest toothpaste works great as a plastic polish.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 02:04:50 AM »
Somewhere in the depths of my aging brain I recall the toothpaste tip. May have come from you anyway Dan.

Here's a pretty cool A80 1" thread you might find interesting.

http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,1096.0.html
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 01:57:47 PM »
Hi DocB:

Glad to see fine progress being made with the A80 1" machine.  It is beautiful to say the least.

As I recall, the ultimate head configuration was to be 2 track...  I can only imaging the sonics from it... 

I've been telling myself - music from a 1/2" two track master dub should be as much as any normal human being would be allowed to endulge (legally)...but now ...1"...

Where do we go from here?
Ki Choi

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2011, 10:18:25 AM »
Hi Ki,

Somehow I missed your post before. Progress is happening on the A80. Paul made a tone tape on the 1" ATR for me so I now have a means to integrate a Tube Repro into the setup and get the eq right. We actually listened to tones over headphones for the first time yesterday, via the stock repro. We will make some pigtails with Tuchel connectors to connect the Tube Repro to the head. Right now I am taking signal off an 8 track head that came with the deck in order to make sure things are functional. Next order of business is to hire Greg Orton to make a 1" 2 track repro head.

Regarding where do we go from here, I have joked about 2" 2 track for several years. IIRC someone has actually decided to do it - can't remember who.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2011, 05:06:23 PM »
Hi Doc:

thanks for the update.

My guess is that you will go from the original 1" master to dubbed 1" master to be played back on your 1" 2 tk A80 + Tape Repro. Guess it can't get any closer to the original than that...

OTOH, 2" 2 track... that sounds obscene...
Ki Choi

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2011, 05:30:29 PM »
Paul makes three running masters, that is, he actually masters each album with exactly the same settings onto three separate sets of tapes. Two are kept at the studio, one of which is used for production, the other for backup if the first tape is damaged. I keep the third set in Washington in case Cali breaks off into the ocean. I will probably end up dubbing a sampler reel or two for system evaluation where we tend to run a track several times for A/B. Biggest issue with 1" dubs is getting two monstrous 1" machines onto the same floor of the studio to make the transfer.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2011, 06:25:48 PM »
OTOH, 2" 2 track... that sounds obscene...

I've often wondered if there's a point in track width where the scrape flutter caused by the increased contact area and the lower frequency of the flutter will degrade the sound (or  change the "character" of the sound?).
There's a couple of 2" 2 track machines out there that have been characterized as having the ultimate "fat" sound. I can't say that I've heard one but I wonder if that's what you'd really want for playing back a variety of genres.
Of course, it sure would be fun to find out!

steve koto
 HE Audio Jades