Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: New (to me) ST 1510A question  (Read 15675 times)

Offline GLouie

• View Profile
Re: New (to me) ST 1510A question
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
FYI, I found my April 15, 1981 literature/price list for the ST 1500A, and it was $5,750.00USD. 1/3 octave spectrum analyzer option added another $1,500.00.

I don't know what the 1510A was.
Gary Louie
Seattle

Offline C_Campbell

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 05:06:17 PM »
Hi Gary,

Wow, so the prices I found were not out of line! Sound Technology was obviously the Audio Precision of its day. Thanks so much for looking that up.
Christopher Campbell

www.cbcampbell.com

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 04:47:51 PM »
Hi Guys;

One of my ST 1510As has an issue with L channel output reference level.  It will only go up to 10mV, and most of the time, I can move the level up and down. R channel default to 1.29V at power up and it can be adjusted to 2.0V for self test mode.

Unfortunately, the service manual I had borrowed from Charles King doesn't include schematics for Output Reference boards that is not found in ST 1500A.

DocB is checking for a ST 1510A service manual but if one of you has a PDF copy I can use, please let me know.

Thanks,
Ki
Ki Choi

Offline C_Campbell

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 07:22:40 PM »
Hi Ki,

When I purchased my 1510A last year, I received a PDF copy of the service manual, as well as a complete printed copy. I'll be traveling tomorrow but will arrange to put a copy up on my iDisk for you later this weekend (the file is about 72 MB). As I recall, the quality of the PDF scans isn't great, but if there is something that needs clarification, I can scan specific pages at high resolution for you later in the month. My printed copy is very complete, with later revisions, service bulletins, etc. It's absolutely massive ? larger than the service manual for the Sony APR-5000!
Christopher Campbell

www.cbcampbell.com

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 11:00:09 AM »
Thanks Christopher for the PDF.

Although I still haven't fix the issue, it will certainly help me to dig into the challenge.

BTW, I have two Sony APR-5003s, and I had to learn its inner workings when one of them died all of sudden.  In addition, I had modified their noisy fans with nearing airplane taking off levels to audiophile acceptable whispher quiet state...
Ki Choi

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 02:46:50 PM »
Hey Ki,

I think members here would be interested in hearing about your fan modifications. I know there aren't too many APR owners here but perhaps your experience will help out folks with other machines (some of which have noisy fans too).

If you could start a new thread with "noisy fan" in the subject heading it'll help folks search for it later.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline C_Campbell

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 03:37:44 PM »
Ki, I would like to warmly second Steve's request. My APR-5003V is working beautifully, but it would be wonderful to have a substantially quieter fan. If you can find time to document your work ? and I recall that you outlined things in a prior posting for the APR group ? someone like me, who is not nearly as capable as you with all things electronic, would appreciate having your step-by-step recommendations in excruciating complete detail, especially given the "unobtanium" status of most of the Sony parts.
Christopher Campbell

www.cbcampbell.com

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 12:43:41 PM »
Ok guys.

It might take a while but I will document the mod I had made to Sony APR-5003 for reduced fan noise in a separate thread.

However, don't hold your breath! ;-)
Ki Choi