TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: New (to me) ST 1510A question  (Read 15633 times)

Offline GLouie

• View Profile
Re: New (to me) ST 1510A question
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »
FYI, I found my April 15, 1981 literature/price list for the ST 1500A, and it was $5,750.00USD. 1/3 octave spectrum analyzer option added another $1,500.00.

I don't know what the 1510A was.
Gary Louie
Seattle

Offline C_Campbell

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 05:06:17 PM »
Hi Gary,

Wow, so the prices I found were not out of line! Sound Technology was obviously the Audio Precision of its day. Thanks so much for looking that up.
Christopher Campbell

www.cbcampbell.com

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 04:47:51 PM »
Hi Guys;

One of my ST 1510As has an issue with L channel output reference level.  It will only go up to 10mV, and most of the time, I can move the level up and down. R channel default to 1.29V at power up and it can be adjusted to 2.0V for self test mode.

Unfortunately, the service manual I had borrowed from Charles King doesn't include schematics for Output Reference boards that is not found in ST 1500A.

DocB is checking for a ST 1510A service manual but if one of you has a PDF copy I can use, please let me know.

Thanks,
Ki
Ki Choi

Offline C_Campbell

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2011, 07:22:40 PM »
Hi Ki,

When I purchased my 1510A last year, I received a PDF copy of the service manual, as well as a complete printed copy. I'll be traveling tomorrow but will arrange to put a copy up on my iDisk for you later this weekend (the file is about 72 MB). As I recall, the quality of the PDF scans isn't great, but if there is something that needs clarification, I can scan specific pages at high resolution for you later in the month. My printed copy is very complete, with later revisions, service bulletins, etc. It's absolutely massive ? larger than the service manual for the Sony APR-5000!
Christopher Campbell

www.cbcampbell.com

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2011, 11:00:09 AM »
Thanks Christopher for the PDF.

Although I still haven't fix the issue, it will certainly help me to dig into the challenge.

BTW, I have two Sony APR-5003s, and I had to learn its inner workings when one of them died all of sudden.  In addition, I had modified their noisy fans with nearing airplane taking off levels to audiophile acceptable whispher quiet state...
Ki Choi

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2011, 02:46:50 PM »
Hey Ki,

I think members here would be interested in hearing about your fan modifications. I know there aren't too many APR owners here but perhaps your experience will help out folks with other machines (some of which have noisy fans too).

If you could start a new thread with "noisy fan" in the subject heading it'll help folks search for it later.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline C_Campbell

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2011, 03:37:44 PM »
Ki, I would like to warmly second Steve's request. My APR-5003V is working beautifully, but it would be wonderful to have a substantially quieter fan. If you can find time to document your work ? and I recall that you outlined things in a prior posting for the APR group ? someone like me, who is not nearly as capable as you with all things electronic, would appreciate having your step-by-step recommendations in excruciating complete detail, especially given the "unobtanium" status of most of the Sony parts.
Christopher Campbell

www.cbcampbell.com

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 12:43:41 PM »
Ok guys.

It might take a while but I will document the mod I had made to Sony APR-5003 for reduced fan noise in a separate thread.

However, don't hold your breath! ;-)
Ki Choi