TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Mark Levinson  (Read 6759 times)

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
Mark Levinson
« on: May 13, 2011, 02:04:06 PM »
An **interesting** history of Mark Levinson and a nice shot of his tape deck!
http://www.danielhertz.com/media/biography/MusicMan2.pdf
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
Re: Mark Levinson
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2011, 06:02:50 PM »
Hi Myles,

Nice to see this example with a meter bridge :-)

-Sam
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2011, 07:40:11 PM »
Would love to know what happened to the ML5 that used to be at Lyric HiFi in NYC?
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 09:33:22 PM »
Hi Myles:

thanks for the link.

One of my audio friends in Korea had arranged for Mark Levinson to do the work for LG as a consultant.  One of the projects was to create the best horn based speakers.  For some reasons, LG didn't sign up after the speakers were done.  I heard a pair in Korea few years ago before its debut two years ago at NYC pro audio event.  Mark started the Daniel Hertz with the speakers.

Fred Thal had one of the ML-5s without the VU meterbridge (which he didn't believe in) and used to list it on eBay for ~$15K... I believe.  I don't see it listed anymore so it must have been sold.  I think Mike L came close to owning it also.

The ML-5 was Studer A80RC MkII with new audio +/-15VDC power supply, new Repro and Record cards.  I think one of our forum memebers had purchased the ML-5 repro cards from Fred and currently using them.
Ki Choi

Offline jdza

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 11:55:28 PM »
I think one of our forum memebers had purchased the ML-5 repro cards from Fred and currently using them.

That would be me. The "ML5" has become my daily machine,sounding so much better than  my totally rebuilt A80R. The A 80R closest to the camera has been modified to ML5 spec with electronics,outboard psu and headstack

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 04:50:13 AM by jdza »
Johan Dreyer

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 12:26:21 AM »
Gorgeous set up!
Thanks for sharing the photos.

If you get a moment, could you post your hardware in this thread;

http://www.tapeproject.com/smf/index.php/topic,2104.0.html
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:30:18 AM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades