Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Moldy B/C Tapes on eBay  (Read 5450 times)

Offline jeri

• View Profile
Moldy B/C Tapes on eBay
« on: May 19, 2011, 11:04:06 AM »
There is a lot of 56 Barclay Crocker tapes being auctioned on eBay ending May 23:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-56-BARCLAY-CROCKER-CLASSICAL-REEL-REEL-TAPES-/260786515855

All the tapes are moldy, with the amount of mold varying from a little to a lot.  The seller says he played three of them on a friends tape machine and they play fine.  (Uh Oh.  I suppose his friend will eventually have some moldy tapes to sell, too.)

There seems to be a lot of interest in the auction, and bidding is up to $64 already with four days to go.

Can anyone tell me why these tapes would be worth anything?  I would have thrown them away.  I don't get it.
Jeri

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Moldy B/C Tapes on eBay
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 12:19:29 PM »
Hey Jeri,

For many folks, these tapes would be less than worthless as you've mentioned.
But, for someone who has the time and gear to properly clean them (or is willing to send them to someone who does, such as the guys at A2DX Labs) they can be saved.

For anyone reading this who isn't familiar with the problems involved with mold on magnetic tape, the reels, boxes/inserts, and the tape will breed spores that can infect other tapes. As Jeri mentioned, playing these tapes will also spread the spores onto the tape machine which can infect other tapes played on this machine. Cleaning them is not for the faint hearted and really requires a room that can be disinfected along with a vacuum with a hepa filter (which collects small enough particles to catch the spores). Also, a proper respirator should be used when cleaning these tapes. There is a post in the "Beginners Guide" which has links to the research done at the U of Texas which stands as a reference on treating moldy tapes.

The bottom line is, I'm sure that these tapes were purchased as a lot without knowing that they were moldy. I believe that this auction is the sellers attempt to retrieve some of what he's invested in them. I have to give him credit though, he could just as easily have not mentioned the mold and sold them for much, much more. Kudos to him.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 03:51:29 AM »
Some of the reels I've  bought has 'musty' smell.   Does this mean presence of mold?
Hyok (Tony) Kim,  yes, this is my real name.

Btw.  How do you know it's my real name?  Just because I say so?

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 12:32:44 PM »
Hey Red,

If you don't see any signs of mold/mildew, it's probably just the box that smells musty. It's always a good idea to vacuum these old boxes and tapes just to minimize any chance of spores, insect eggs etc before you place them on the shelf (maybe a quick wipe of any slick surfaces with a damp rag).
I also put my old tapes in acid free slip covers to protect the covers. This also prevents cross contamination just in case there is a problem. I get them from a guy on eBay and they're pretty cheap.

http://shop.ebay.com/ramblin-jack/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 12:42:14 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Great idea, thank you.
Hyok (Tony) Kim,  yes, this is my real name.

Btw.  How do you know it's my real name?  Just because I say so?

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.