TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: THE Show, Newport, CA June 3-5  (Read 7827 times)

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
THE Show, Newport, CA June 3-5
« on: May 25, 2011, 10:52:29 AM »
Hi Guys,

Several exhibitors will be spinning tapes at T.H.E Show:
United Home Audio with the latest version of their UHA-HQ deck, the series 9. Look for them in the Von Schweikert room.
Philip O'Hanlon, wherever he's showing his Luxman electronics and Vivid loudspeakers.
Arian Jansen, who will be showing a deck based on the ReVox PR99. Arian has made substantial improvements to the transport, and has new audio electronics in it, newly designed from the ground up. I'm especially interested in this deck, since I use a PR99 at home, with Arian's modified ReVox electronics. It sounds pretty good, but I can't wait to hear what his all-out assault sounds like. Look for him under his company name: Sonorus.
I'm assuming Dan Meinwald will have his de Paravicini-modified Technics 1500 in the EAR-USA room.
And probably a few more. If you know of any I missed, please add a response.

I'll be there myself Friday and part of Saturday. Hope to see some of you there.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: THE Show, Newport, CA June 3-5
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2011, 02:51:26 PM »
Sounds like a great show Paul.

There should be tape rolling in the Blue Light Audio room (418). Well, I'm positive actually since ATR Services will be there along with DartZeel electronics and Evolution Acoustics speakers. I visited their room at the show that was in Emeryville last year and they had a A810 and some of their own tapes. I wasn't too impressed with the tapes they played when I was in the room but the speakers and amps sounded excellent.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 08:02:21 PM »
Sounds like a great show Paul.

There should be tape rolling in the Blue Light Audio room (418). Well, I'm positive actually since ATR Services will be there along with DartZeel electronics and Evolution Acoustics speakers. I visited their room at the show that was in Emeryville last year and they had a A810 and some of their own tapes. I wasn't too impressed with the tapes they played when I was in the room but the speakers and amps sounded excellent.

I would definitely check it out!!! Best show sound for me at RMAF and CES!

Bruce Brown always brings some great tapes. The Oscar Peterson We Get Requests and Solti doing Romantic Russia (Decca) were to die for. BTW, the Decca tape put the album to shame. Not sure what Decca did in the transfer but they really mucked this transfer up as the original is very dark sounding and murky. The bass drum, tape version, will certainly get your notice! Know it did mine!

Listening Paul, Dan and Michael? :)
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline Tubes n tapes

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 09:49:33 AM »
Rick Brown of HiFi One will also be spinning tapes in room 1004.

Here are some pictures of the ground up designed, PR99 based tape deck that Paul is mentioning:  http://www.sonorusaudio.com/Products.html
On the show I will use a set of transformerless, directly driven electrostatic speakers combined with OTL driven woofer towers for the demo.

Hope to see many of you on T.H.E. Show.
Arian Jansen.

SonoruS Audio.
VP of technology of the Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society (LAOCAS).
ESL/OTL builder and modest Studer/ReVox collector.

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 06:31:43 PM »
Bruce Brown always brings some great tapes.

That's an enormous PLUS, Myles...I thought he would be focusing on the digital side.

-Sam
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 08:03:23 PM »

Here are some pictures of the ground up designed, PR99 based tape deck that Paul is mentioning:  http://www.sonorusaudio.com/Products.html
On the show I will use a set of transformerless, directly driven electrostatic speakers combined with OTL driven woofer towers for the demo.

Hope to see many of you on T.H.E. Show.

Damn wish I was going :)
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 11:26:23 AM »

Arian,

Will Rick be using one of your decks?
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline Tubes n tapes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 11:51:48 PM »
Rick will be using one of my modified PR99 mkII's. The newly designed machine will only be demonstrated in the Sonorus room (#203)
Arian Jansen.

SonoruS Audio.
VP of technology of the Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society (LAOCAS).
ESL/OTL builder and modest Studer/ReVox collector.

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 08:48:59 PM »
I'll be there myself Friday and part of Saturday. Hope to see some of you there.

Greetings, Paul,

It was nice seeing you and saying "hello" in the TAD room, Friday.  My spouse and I heard the room twice, Friday with the larger TAD speakers, and Sunday with the monitor-sized transducers...the room and system presented exceptionally well with tape as the source.

Congrats to the TP team,

Sam
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)