TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Quarter Track "Tapeography"  (Read 6007 times)

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
Quarter Track "Tapeography"
« on: June 03, 2011, 04:25:17 AM »
Is there, or could someone start a place on the net where interested tapesters could post listing info about good quality quarter-track (stereo) open reels - and quad for that matter?

What I suggest is something like an open access, easy-to-update "shell" where individuals (members) could post information; like title, label, performer and maybe a comment section (like for sonics).  Anyone can read it but only the specific poster could edit his/her information.

Have it organized by perhaps by music type - then label - then title? Artist cross-reference might be nice.

Ideas?

Charles

Offline jeri

• View Profile
Re: Quarter Track "Tapeography"
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:03:16 AM »
Charles,

There is an existing database for prerecorded tapes located here:

http://www.dantiques.com/openreeltapes/index.mv

This database includes a variety of track formats, not just quarter-track.  There are over 5000 tapes listed.  Data such as title, label, catalog number, performer, track listing, format, and speed are provided for many.  Some have reviews, but most do not.
Jeri

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 01:02:23 PM »
THANKS

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 04:08:35 PM »
It appears using Catalog Number and Title searches produce in no results. But Artist search got me the Benny Goodman 2T Omegatape I was searching for with those methods. (picture a smiley scatching it's head)
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline jeri

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 01:48:49 PM »
Glad you found what you were looking for Neal.

It looks like the search feature is somewhat primitive.  It requires exact text string matches.  So if the catalog number (as entered in the database) has an embedded space, the search term must include the same embedded space.  Same thing for titles.  Shortened excerpts will work, but those excerpts must match exactly with a segment of the database entry.  No missing or extra words or spaces.

By the way:
For folks searching for Barclay-Crocker info -- there are 346 tapes listed in the database.  They can be found searching for "Show tapes made by" and choosing Barclay-Crocker on the pull down list.
Jeri

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 04:04:16 PM »
There are a few double listings of the BC tapes IIRC.
I have a printout that Astrotoy gave me a while back so that could be corrected by now.

There used to be a link to a tape seller in Montana or Wyoming that had pictures of the racks of tapes in a building out in the middle of nowhere. I can't seem to find it anymore or maybe the collection was sold. It was thousands of tapes.
Do any of you guys have a link to that site?
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jeri

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 12:52:05 PM »
Steve,

There could be double listings -- I really haven't looked carefully.  The 346 total seemed reasonable to me since I have 349 different BC tapes (if you count Dolby and DBX versions of the same title as different.)  And there are five more that differ only in one letter used in the catalog number (i.e. HAL C 107 vs. HAL D 107).  I have an Excel spreadsheet if anyone wants a list.

I remember the website you mentioned!  They had a photo of a huge metal building out in a field somewhere.  I'll look and see if I may have bookmarked it.
Jeri