Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: California Audio Show July 15-17  (Read 14954 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
California Audio Show July 15-17
« on: June 08, 2011, 11:15:52 AM »
Tape Project will be at the California Audio Show in Burlingame July 15-17. We will be rolling 1/2" tape in the Marutani Consulting room (Magico, Constellation, ATR Services, Continuum, Bottlehead, Pyramix,) and the Bob Hodas Acoustic Analysis room (Focal JM Lab, VTL, Bottlehead). Both of these exhibitors have some special tricks up their sleeve and I suspect the rooms will be a lot of fun to see and hear. Not directly tape related - Bottlehead will also be unveiling the new Tube Phono preamp mated to a Continuum Turntable.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 02:42:07 PM by docb »
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: California Audio Show July 15-17
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 02:52:57 PM »
Just want to bump this item since it's happening next weekend.
I'll be there on Saturday for sure and if any of you tape nuts want to hook up, I'll make it a point to be in the Marutani room at noon.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Tubes n tapes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 06:33:24 PM »

For those who are planning to visit the California Audio Show next weekend, Philip O'Hanlon will be spinning several Tape Project tapes in the 'On a Higher Note' room (rm 434) on the new SonoruS ATR10 Tape Deck. This is a deck based on a Revox PR99, but with all new and redesigned electronics, including power supplies, tape drive electronics and audio circuitry. It features regulated tape tension, improved tape path and tube based playback electronics.

The system furthermore includes a Brinkman turntable, Luxman electronics and the remarkable Vivid loudspeakers.

For the rest, leave it up to Philip to put forward an impressive demonstration!

Arian Jansen.

SonoruS Audio.
VP of technology of the Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society (LAOCAS).
ESL/OTL builder and modest Studer/ReVox collector.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 08:18:59 PM »
Excellent!
I'm looking forward to hearing your ATR10.
The more TP tapes rolling, the better.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 12:23:16 PM »
As of yesterday we have the tape deck (1/2" ATR with ATR Services tube output) up and running in the Marutani Consulting room (Plaza Ballroom 1). On my way to set up the tape deck (1/2" Otari MTR-20 with Bottlehead Tube Repro) in the Bob Hodas Acoustic Analysis room (330) and then on to setting up the Bottlehead Tube Phono in the Marutani room. This is going to be a pretty interesting show, quite a bit of effort is being taken to make both rooms sound good.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 10:27:25 PM »
See you there guys. I just purchased a ticket. I'll be arriving at 10:30 at SFO so should make it by noon to Tim's room. My return flight is at midnight so hopefully someone will join me for dinner or drinks after the show is off. At least I won't need a hotel!

Xavier Cortes

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 10:55:21 PM »
I'm talking about Saturday
Xavier Cortes

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 11:39:49 PM »
Won't make it to the Bay Area :-(
Look forward to reading the posts on the forum.
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 11:47:26 PM »
Fantastic new Xavier!
The Crown has shuttles from the airport (just a 10 minute ride).
I'll see you there!
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 12:34:42 AM »
Looks as if I will be there for a bit Friday and also Saturday afternoon.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 03:38:54 PM »
Mike Spitz told me that one of his machines will be rolling tape at the Blue Light Audio room. So there's at least four rooms with tape: Phillip's (Arian's), Tim Marutani's, Bob Hodas' and BLA's.

I plan to take with me a short sample of a wonderful recording I have. Won't play on the 1/2" machine though :^(

Xavier Cortes

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 08:04:39 PM »
Mike Spitz told me that one of his machines will be rolling tape at the Blue Light Audio room. So there's at least four rooms with tape: Phillip's (Arian's), Tim Marutani's, Bob Hodas' and BLA's.

I plan to take with me a short sample of a wonderful recording I have. Won't play on the 1/2" machine though :^(

Would that be Bruce Brown's ATR102 with the Aria electronics?
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 07:14:29 AM »
Pictures and impressions please. :-)
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 01:01:04 PM »
Would that be Bruce Brown's ATR102 with the Aria electronics?

Hi Myles,

The ATR-102 used at T.H.E. Show in California --in Jonathan's room-- appeared to be stock, i.e. no visible Aria electronics.
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 08:52:49 PM »
I never did get a chance to hear Brown's ATR (maybe Sunday) but I did get a chance to hear the one in Tim Marutani's room and the Otari MTR-20 (1/2") in Bob Hodas' room. Both were exuding some of the loveliest sounds you could ever wish for.

The demo tapes included some of the series 3 selections. The Nat Cole tracks I heard just melted me (along with the other folks lucky enough to hear them). If you thought that the male vocal on "Blackjack David" was as good as it can get,.. wait till you hear this one!
I want mine NOW!

A real bonus of the show was getting to meet the duplication engineer for our tapes. It would appear that our precious tapes are in good hands!
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades