Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: One's own semi-custom tapeproject?  (Read 7525 times)

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
One's own semi-custom tapeproject?
« on: May 25, 2011, 10:48:19 PM »
Has anyone had experience with this group?

www.studiopros.com

Now, I don't know if a grand is going to do just one song, or enough songs for a small album, I've sent an email.

Hyok (Tony) Kim,  yes, this is my real name.

Btw.  How do you know it's my real name?  Just because I say so?

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.

Offline kipdent

• View Profile
Re: One's own semi-custom tapeproject?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 09:13:58 AM »
Please keep us posted! I've got a closet full of compositions over decades and always wondered how to move them forward without friends who are musicians. Very cool site...

Kip
Kip Peterson
Vintage-centric system with Apogee Acoustics Scintilla ribbon loudspeakers, Micro Seiki RX-5000 turntable and other odd bits of tube and solid state gear. Now a proud owner of a Studer A80 RC Mk II tape machine!

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 01:16:58 PM »
Please keep us posted! I've got a closet full of compositions over decades and always wondered how to move them forward without friends who are musicians. Very cool site...

Kip

I've just got the email.    It's $899 per song, but includes everything, including help with polishing the composition if they see weakness/rough spots.    Based on what I read from others who claimed to have used them, they can repeat the performance if it's not to the liking within reason, also I read that if more than one song, they could work on arranging a better value deal depending on the particular circumstance.

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.

Offline kipdent

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 10:10:31 PM »
Thanks for the follow-up!

Kip
Kip Peterson
Vintage-centric system with Apogee Acoustics Scintilla ribbon loudspeakers, Micro Seiki RX-5000 turntable and other odd bits of tube and solid state gear. Now a proud owner of a Studer A80 RC Mk II tape machine!

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 11:58:42 AM »
I'm also starting my own project. I purchased a very nice stereo mic and mic pre. I will do my first recording in two weeks. A very good Irish jazz singer and a guitarist. Two 20 plus minute takes. Fresh ATR tape. Directly from the mic pre to the tape. I already did some tests recording my daughter telling a story and the results are amazing. The deal with the artist is as follows: I supply the room, the gear, the tape, the food and the drinks. All rights to the recorded material go to the artist. I keep the analog master for my own, personal use. I digitize the recording and give the arrtist a high rez and a cd rez copy. If part of the work is eventually published I get credit. And if there's ever a copyright issue the artist relieves me from any responsibility or liability. If the artist wants to borrow the analog tape, she can do it anytime for duplication and returns it to me. I do keep a copy of the digital copy.

I think I'll also request the right to distribute selections for demonstration or non commercial purposes.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 12:21:41 PM by xcortes »
Xavier Cortes

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 10:41:21 PM »
Directly from the mic pre to the tape.

Must be nice.

Thanks for your experience in dealing with artists.

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 12:08:22 PM »
All set up for recording this Thursday. Her voice and singing are outstanding and my preliminar recording tests are very good. This is a very exciting project. I'll let you know how it comes out.
Xavier Cortes

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 10:33:57 PM »
This was one of the most rewarding projects, if not the most rewarding one, of my long time relationship with music. I wish you could listen what I'm listening to right now. Louise did sing great and my beginner's luck allowed me to capture her voice and the beautifully sounding Fender amp in a very successful way.
Xavier Cortes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 12:02:47 AM »
Very cool Xavier!

Recording really opens up a whole world for me. There's so much to learn and work on that I always feel like there's just not enough hours in the day. I hope you find it as rewarding as I do!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 11:43:07 AM »
This was one of the most rewarding projects, if not the most rewarding one, of my long time relationship with music. I wish you could listen what I'm listening to right now.

Xavier,

Just came across this...I'm so happy for you!  I believe there may be a few of us interested in capturing/recording music as an extension, if not essence, of our participation.

Best regards,
Sam
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)