TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: National Jukebox  (Read 2964 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
National Jukebox
« on: July 29, 2011, 11:19:30 PM »
Hmm, I coulda sworn that I'd posted something about this but maybe it was just over on the Bottlehead Forum.
Anyway,..

A few months back, the LOC (Library of Congress) released their long awaited "National Jukebox". This is a streaming only online music player for public access of the digital transfers the LOC had been doing in Washington and now at the fabulous Packard Facility located in Culpepper Va. The Jukebox opened with over 10,000 selections from the period between 1900-1925. Each selection is a disc side of primarily acoustic recordings (78's) from the Victor Talking Machine Co..
Many more labels will be added but just like the Savory Recordings I mentioned in a previous post, copyright issues are currently preventing online access of many labels. Sony/Universal has an agreement with the LOC so their considerable holdings will continue to be made available on the Jukebox .

The Jukebox will feature much more than just the search/player interface such as links to music and performers. My favorite feature is the 1919 Victrola Book of the Opera. Even if you aren't a fan of the opera, you really should check out this interactive facsimile. It is fantastic!

http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades