Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Translucent leader tape  (Read 5340 times)

Offline kipdent

• View Profile
Translucent leader tape
« on: August 13, 2011, 06:07:24 PM »
I have a Studer A80RC MK II whose light gate is set to stop the tape transport whenever it encounters clear, translucent or no tape. I really enjoy this feature as it prevents tape "slapping" on FF and RW and allows for accurate time indexing for songs on tape as the counter also does not count when such tape is sensed by the optical light sensor.

I used to source translucent white mylar leader tape from US Recording Media, but my last order contained an "updated" formulation that is completely opaque and, of course, prevents the A80 from operating as described above. Does anyone know another source I could try to get this type of leader tape?

Thanks in advance--

Kip
Kip Peterson
Vintage-centric system with Apogee Acoustics Scintilla ribbon loudspeakers, Micro Seiki RX-5000 turntable and other odd bits of tube and solid state gear. Now a proud owner of a Studer A80 RC Mk II tape machine!

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Translucent leader tape
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 09:24:12 PM »
Hey Kip,

Give these guys a try. I believe the blue mylar leader is translucent but just be sure and contact them to confirm this.
When something like this leader starts to get scarce, it would be a good idea to put just enough to engage "stop" and splice in regular tape after that (like on our TP tapes).

http://www.tapecenter.com/cltale1retor.html
http://www.tracertek.com/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=catshow&ref=taperes&sid=60zp02093t472p98kx11n57mrynw5lnj

I keep meaning to do that with the paper leader I like so much (talk about retro to the extreme!) but I guess I'm not so good at taking my own advice (or maybe just freakin' stupid!).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 10:42:19 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jeri

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 11:00:33 PM »
Kip,

Could you try making your own transparent window by removing the oxide layer from a short section of regular tape?  (You could splice in a short piece of blank tape rather than damaging part of the prerecorded tape if you like.)

I remember watching the tech do this years ago at school while making dupes for the Classical Music lab.  She dipped a Q-Tip in solvent and wiped a section of the duplicated tape to make the clear window.  I have no idea what solvent was used at the time.  Maybe heptane or whatever you are using as a head cleaner would work.
Jeri

Offline kipdent

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 10:16:17 AM »
Thanks everyone for the tips and options. I did find this place, too, and though they have to special order it, apparently RMGI can supply it.

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/370041.html

Kip
Kip Peterson
Vintage-centric system with Apogee Acoustics Scintilla ribbon loudspeakers, Micro Seiki RX-5000 turntable and other odd bits of tube and solid state gear. Now a proud owner of a Studer A80 RC Mk II tape machine!

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 12:29:01 AM »
Thanks, Kip, for this thread...I'll need some for the A820.
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)