Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Kenny Burrell in concert!  (Read 5685 times)

Offline Super Duper

• View Profile
    • The Tape Project
Kenny Burrell in concert!
« on: August 15, 2011, 03:48:45 PM »
Hi TP-er's:

Thought this would be a good way to introduce myself and make my first post to the Tape Project Forum.  I have been the duplication engineer for the TP since late March, and I've loved every minute of it.  It's a great privilege to make these tapes at the highest quality possible and to listen along to these renowned albums every day--so, thanks to Dan, Paul, and Michael for inviting me in.  On a side note, I must also say that I used this forum as a good resource for audiophile media information a while back when I was a TP fan.

Michael and I had the honor of recording Kenny Burrell and the Jazz Heritage All-Stars in concert at Yoshi's Oakland a couple of weeks ago.  This was a series of eight concerts over four nights (with different song lineups for each set)--and boy, can those guys play!  It was organized to celebrate Kenny's 80th birthday (Sunday, July 31st in case you want to send him a card).  If it gets released, I'll be sure to update here with information to listen to the recordings.

I'm attaching a photo of Kenny Burrell, Clayton Cameron (infamous and awesome drummer), Michael Romanowski and myself.  It is a bit blurry, as there wasn't much light backstage.

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all.

Cheers,

Piper
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:53:54 PM by Super Duper »
Piper Payne
Duplication Engineer
The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Kenny Burrell in concert!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 04:57:12 PM »
Hey Piper,

Welcome to the forum!
That must've been very cool. I saw Burrell a couple of years ago at Monterey and I never woulda guessed he was 80!
I look forward to hearing the results. I really love the sound of Yoshi's Oakland and one of my favorite live recordings was done there, Dee Dee Bridgewater, "Live at Yoshi's".
I heard a classical recording that Romo made (I think it was the Oakland Sym.). It sounded fantastic on Doc's system up in Poulsbo.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 12:48:39 AM »
Hi Piper,

Pleased to make your acquaintance...pic is great -- thanks for sharing!

Best regards,
Sam
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 02:01:05 PM »
Hey Piper--

Glad to see you here and don't be a stranger! Appreciate all your hard work!

These old-timers still can play can't they? Hearing people like Roy Haynes, Jimmy Heath, etc. lately has been amazing!
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline Tim Leggett

• Loud Listener elsewhere....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 07:23:53 PM »
As we like to say down here in 100+ degrees Houston, Texas - Howdy Piper!

Welcome! No doubt you will be (or have been) working on my Series One subscription tapes. Thanks a bunch for the hard work, it is appreciated.

Tim
Tim Leggett
VPI Aries 3 - SDS - Super Platter - Periphery Ring Clamp - Phantom Tonearm,  Ray Samuels XR-10B,  Benz Micro Glider H2 & Ebony 3H, Antique Sound Lab AQ-1001 DT, Vandersteen 2Ce - Triangle Celius 202, Technics RS-1520, Ampex ATR-102