Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Kenny Burrell in concert!  (Read 5681 times)

Offline Super Duper

• View Profile
    • The Tape Project
Kenny Burrell in concert!
« on: August 15, 2011, 03:48:45 PM »
Hi TP-er's:

Thought this would be a good way to introduce myself and make my first post to the Tape Project Forum.  I have been the duplication engineer for the TP since late March, and I've loved every minute of it.  It's a great privilege to make these tapes at the highest quality possible and to listen along to these renowned albums every day--so, thanks to Dan, Paul, and Michael for inviting me in.  On a side note, I must also say that I used this forum as a good resource for audiophile media information a while back when I was a TP fan.

Michael and I had the honor of recording Kenny Burrell and the Jazz Heritage All-Stars in concert at Yoshi's Oakland a couple of weeks ago.  This was a series of eight concerts over four nights (with different song lineups for each set)--and boy, can those guys play!  It was organized to celebrate Kenny's 80th birthday (Sunday, July 31st in case you want to send him a card).  If it gets released, I'll be sure to update here with information to listen to the recordings.

I'm attaching a photo of Kenny Burrell, Clayton Cameron (infamous and awesome drummer), Michael Romanowski and myself.  It is a bit blurry, as there wasn't much light backstage.

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all.

Cheers,

Piper
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 03:53:54 PM by Super Duper »
Piper Payne
Duplication Engineer
The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Kenny Burrell in concert!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 04:57:12 PM »
Hey Piper,

Welcome to the forum!
That must've been very cool. I saw Burrell a couple of years ago at Monterey and I never woulda guessed he was 80!
I look forward to hearing the results. I really love the sound of Yoshi's Oakland and one of my favorite live recordings was done there, Dee Dee Bridgewater, "Live at Yoshi's".
I heard a classical recording that Romo made (I think it was the Oakland Sym.). It sounded fantastic on Doc's system up in Poulsbo.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 12:48:39 AM »
Hi Piper,

Pleased to make your acquaintance...pic is great -- thanks for sharing!

Best regards,
Sam
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 02:01:05 PM »
Hey Piper--

Glad to see you here and don't be a stranger! Appreciate all your hard work!

These old-timers still can play can't they? Hearing people like Roy Haynes, Jimmy Heath, etc. lately has been amazing!
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline Tim Leggett

• Loud Listener elsewhere....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 07:23:53 PM »
As we like to say down here in 100+ degrees Houston, Texas - Howdy Piper!

Welcome! No doubt you will be (or have been) working on my Series One subscription tapes. Thanks a bunch for the hard work, it is appreciated.

Tim
Tim Leggett
VPI Aries 3 - SDS - Super Platter - Periphery Ring Clamp - Phantom Tonearm,  Ray Samuels XR-10B,  Benz Micro Glider H2 & Ebony 3H, Antique Sound Lab AQ-1001 DT, Vandersteen 2Ce - Triangle Celius 202, Technics RS-1520, Ampex ATR-102