Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Sonorus ATR10  (Read 7870 times)

Offline TomR

• View Profile
Sonorus ATR10
« on: August 21, 2011, 11:46:07 AM »
I saw this new deck in TAS, discussed briefly in one of ths show reports.

http://www.sonorusaudio.com/ATR10_FIF7.html

They are claiming Studer quality for this machine - anyone know anything about it?

Tom
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Sonorus ATR10
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 12:10:07 PM »
Hey Tom,

Haven't seen you around here for a bit. I hope that your absence means that you've just been way too busy!

Yes, I got a chance to hear Arian's machine at the California Audio Show. Instead of being a modified PR-99, it's more of a ground up redesign of the same machine.
Very nice looking! From what I could tell from somewhat limited listening and show conditions, it had a very nice sound (I wasn't familiar with the tape Arian played but it was cool to hear Elvis in hi rez!).

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 09:29:19 PM »
Hi Steve, yep, super busy! Working with 8 venture backed clients now.....half of which are funding right now. Keeps me gainfully employed.

Starting to look at upgrading my system.....first step - my beloved B&W 804s just don't cut it in my living room - it is just too big. OK for music with limited dynamic range, but totally crap out on orchestral works, for example - no feeling of being there.  Believe or not.....I am going over to the other side, and have ordered Magnepan 3.7's. I have never been a Maggie guy...but these are different. Really different. Spent hours at Audible Difference listening to them on a wide variety of material....can't wait for their arrival.

Next will be my tape deck......as you know I am not that happy with the Technics tape path, and anyway, the stock 1520 just doesn't have the electronics. Starting to look for the next thing. We'll see. Probably a decision in the next 6 months.

Miss all of you guys.

Tom
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 12:47:06 AM »
Great to hear things are going good for you.
When the VC's are excited about something, it usually means that there's somebody out there that's happy!

Have fun with your 3.7's. If you have any questions regarding planars, feel free to ask me.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 10:10:12 AM »
I have seen the ATR10, at T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach back in June, but didn't get to hear it. It is based on the Revox PR-99, but Arian has thoroughly re-engineered it. First, he has all new servo controls for the motors. The PR-99, like the B-77 that it grew out of, was a constant-torque machine. The ATR10 is a constant-tension machine. This alone elevates it out of the "pro-sumer" category. Additionally, the audio electronics are all new from the ground up.

It's a very ambitious project, and an interesting new entry among the machines that can play TP tapes. I've missed hearing it so far, but it's high on my list and I hope to get an opportunity soon.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline Tubes n tapes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 03:31:06 PM »

For anyone looking for more information, I have uploaded the operating manual of the SonoruS ATR10, which also includes the specifications of the machine, on to the website.

http://www.sonorusaudio.com/uploads/ATR10_Operating_Manual_Rev1_1.pdf
Arian Jansen.

SonoruS Audio.
VP of technology of the Los Angeles and Orange County Audio Society (LAOCAS).
ESL/OTL builder and modest Studer/ReVox collector.

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 01:35:54 PM »
Arian (also known here as Tubes N Tapes), send me a very long and gracious email on the ATR10, with pricing (which I will leave to him). I really want to audition a unit. My son lives in Huntington Beach (near Sonorus' location) - what a great excuse to visit him!
Thomas Ream

Offline jpatcain

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 05:06:15 PM »
I bought number three of the custom ATR10 production, the preamp version. I have never looked back. Sonorus tapes made from my own sacds are the only material I play.

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 04:18:06 PM »
Here's small but sweet photo and write up on the latest Stereo Sound magazine in Japan that I saw last week in Kobe.

Ki
Ki Choi