TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Sir Douglas Quintet "Mendocino" or Monkees "Head" for series III?  (Read 5290 times)

Offline heideana

• View Profile
I've been going thru and dubbing albums from my pre-recorded reel collection and coming across all sorts of "albums" that be great as tape project tapes.  However, I noticed one audity that stands out for me - The Sir Douglas Quintet's "Mendocino".  Its' been one of those albums I always heard about as a teenager, but could never find copy.  I finally won a reel-to-reel copy of it on E-bay and like wow!  A funky mix of SF Psychedelia, Texas Blues stuff that sounds pretty original and like the stuff that genre roots are made of.  I don't know if anyone else remembers Sir Doug or the album and would like to nominate it.

I also found a copy of the Monkees last album (I think?) "Head" and found it very interesting and listenable.  Was totally blown away and shocked to learn Carole King co-penned "the Porpoise Song".  Who'd thought?  It'd make a great artifact from 60's...did you know that Niel Young played on the album?  Lots' of big names played on it....it'd be great to have a decent copy of it from the Tape Project too...

Best, HOpkins
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline TomR

• View Profile
Re: Sir Douglas Quintet "Mendocino" or Monkees "Head" for series III?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 09:38:12 AM »
I remember the Sir Douglas Quintet  (She's About a Mover was the big hit, I believe) and I suspect many of the others that frequent this forum do as well.....but.....this suggestion has to win a prize as one of the most offbeat suggestions for a Tape Project tape made.  Not that it is not a worthy selection, but who would have thought? Actually, the truth for me is that I lost track of Sir Douglas (Douglas Hahm? from Texas? fake brit outfits in 1965) after the big chart topping days but I had heard that the later stuff was outstanding. Never heard it, and now I have to!

Tom
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: Sir Douglas Quintet "Mendocino" or Monkees "Head" for series III?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 10:53:47 AM »
but.....this suggestion has to win a prize as one of the most offbeat suggestions for a Tape Project tape made. 

Tom

I think we need a new thread here for off-the-wall recordings that would make great Tape Project releases - analog era, great recording, great music. Of course the last two are somewhat subjective. :-)
I certainly have brought up a few obscure items from the orchestral MOR 60s pop, folk and country categories. I could suggest a few prog. rock titles from the 70s...
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...