TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Tandberg TD20A se logic circuit issues...........  (Read 9164 times)

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
Tandberg TD20A se logic circuit issues...........
« on: August 09, 2011, 03:26:14 PM »
I have heard that it is the biggest issue with 20a se that the logic circuit for some reason has a tendency to get shorts.

Is this due to 'dirty' electricity?   Would getting a high quality power conditioner or regenerator make a positive difference?

....and would it be possible to make replacement logic circuit through reverse engineering?
Hyok (Tony) Kim,  yes, this is my real name.

Btw.  How do you know it's my real name?  Just because I say so?

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Tandberg TD20A se logic circuit issues...........
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 06:14:06 PM »
Hi Red,

I seriously doubt that the "quality" of the AC has much to do with the failure of the logic circuit. It could help things along but I'd venture to guess that aging IC's and power supply caps have more to do with logic circuit failure.

I always have to wonder about the accuracy of the claims I've read about the source of machine issues. It's one thing if someone says that a problem can be traced to "such and such" a circuit because they've corrected the problem by repairing that circuit, but it's very common for folks to say that they've heard that a particular circuit is a common problem based on 2nd or 3rd hand accounts.
Now I'm not accusing you of spreading rumors but rather warning you to take this stuff with a grain of salt. If you want to learn about this particular machine, I suggest you ask someone who's corrected the issues that are being blamed on the logic circuit. Otherwise, it' just talk.

Regarding the reverse engineering of this circuit,.. anything is possible given the time and funds. The question in my mind is "would this machine be worth going to all that trouble"?

I remember when these machines were new and I have to admit that I lusted after them for a bit. I used a buddies a number of times and it was nice for a consumer machine. Later on I got a chance to use an Otari 5050 and my impression was that it was 10 times the machine that the Tandberg is.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 02:32:25 AM »

Later on I got a chance to use an Otari 5050 and my impression was that it was 10 times the machine that the Tandberg is.

You mean 10 times based on sonics, or on durability/reliability/maintainability issues?

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 11:31:25 AM »
From the standpoint of being a solid, no nonsense machine.

I think experience has proven this out too. Even abused Otari's usually operate correctly with very little work while Tandberg 20 series machines which have been "babied" seldom do.
The Tandberg stomps all over the 5050 when it comes to clean, attractive cosmetics (actually, I wish Otari had spent a little more time on that,.. even just painting them cream like their studio machines would've been an improvement).
These two machines were designed for very different users. The Tandberg for the home user who values good looks and flexibility and the Otari was for places like radio stations and film studios where it needs to work hour after hour being abused by multiple users.

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 05:39:55 PM »
Mmm.. a cream color for my 5050. I LIKE! If it was easy to do the graphics this would be a fun project. Oh well.....
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 06:13:38 PM »
I have heard

From the forum rules:

we require that any information offered about an experience be firsthand, that is, no "I heard that some guys/my friend/my enemy/my mom tried that and hated/loved it" posts. Only posts that are based upon first hand experience are truly useful in the Internet environment. If someone you respect told you of their experience and you are dying to share it, ask that person to post their first hand experience here themself.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 10:15:51 AM »
My sincerest apologies, sorry for my clumsiness in asking questions.

Should have asked like this:

"What is the experience of people who have used Tandbergh TD20A SE compared to Otari MX5050 High speed version in regard to sonics, reliability, durability, and maintainability?"

Offline mossfred

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 02:30:54 PM »
My sincerest apologies, sorry for my clumsiness in asking questions.

Should have asked like this:

"What is the experience of people who have used Tandbergh TD20A SE compared to Otari MX5050 High speed version in regard to sonics, reliability, durability, and maintainability?"

The Otari is more reliable certainly more durable and maintainable. Sonically and I have the TD20a high speed there is not much in it, the tandberg is slightly quieter but I prefer the Otari. They are both lousy tape handlers, and a Tascam BR20 knocks them dead!
Fred
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 02:46:56 PM by mossfred »

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 08:24:08 PM »
Great!   I have Pioneer rt-2022, two of them.    I know rt-2022 is certainly comparable to br20, at least sonic wise.