TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: RMGI 911 VS Maxell 35-180  (Read 15211 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
RMGI 911 VS Maxell 35-180
« on: September 27, 2007, 01:04:56 PM »
Hello all. I would love to know if I should spend about half of what it would cost to purchase brand new still wrapped Maxell 35-180 opposed to RMGI 911. Actually, what is the major difference between the two tape formulations, especially the up and down side. I am especially concerned about tape shredding using the older Maxell tape. Thanks everyone for your response.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: RMGI 911 VS Maxell 35-180
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 07:11:25 PM »
I think that getting you deck biased for new tapes as opposed to NOS is a no brainer. Most new tape is based on old formulations that have stood the test of time. The RMGI 911 has better headroom than any Maxell UD or other tape I used in the '70s. After what Paul stated in his reply to my post below I think I would go with 468 like he said. Why? Well, the last time I looked, I didn't see any Grammys on my mantle. Bottom line is, you're taking a chance with any old stock but with new tape, you can always return it if it's defective.
BTW I feel that it's important to support new tape manufacture. Sure, what we use is nothing compared to professionals, but every little bit helps when it's such a niche market ( what those guys must've gone through to secure loans to start production I can't even imagine).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 02:13:15 PM »
Thank you Steve,

I do appreciate the comments. I had a chance to purchase about 10 reels of Maxell tape for $34 each. And as stated before, this is brand new tape. So, I wanted to get the very best advice I could since the person wanting to sell the tape feels strongly that I should make the purchase. And, since these reels of tape are less expensive that the RMGI stuff, I thought I had better get some additional advice before I jumped at this bargain. Thanks again.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline jdcolombo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 05:26:52 PM »
Hi Bob.

Unless I'm reading the US Recording web site wrong, $34 per reel isn't much less than new 911 tape.  The US Recording site lists 2500' metal reels of 911 tape for $343.00 purchased in a quantity of 10.  That's, uh . . . $34.30 per reel . . . .

John C.
John Colombo
Savoy, IL

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2007, 06:48:33 PM »
Thanks guys, I see the light. Actually, Steve made a great point when he mentioned that we must support the new businesses that are have borrowed large sums of $$$$ to startup tape production for a rather small segment of the audio population. That really clicked home for me and I agree 100%. Actually, even if I could save much more money, I would do well to support these new businesses and their efforst to bring us great tape procucts.

And, of course Doc added the topping to the cake. How can I go wrong with all of this great advice and guidance.  Again you've steered me onto the right path and I am grateful. Thanks for opening my eyes.

Bob W.

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2007, 06:54:27 PM »
I must oppologize. John C, thank you for providing the math that I could not deny. I was not aware that I could purchase reel to reel tape in bulk. And 10 reel would certainly last me a while. And, as suggested in earlier posts, I will go ahead and purchase 468 instead of 911. Thank you so much.

Bob W.

Offline Zamazeev

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 05:36:19 AM »
My 2 cents. As a marketing manager of hi-end company which is in vintage also www.vintage-audio.com.ua (biggest in C.I.S countries) and import RMGI tapes :
You cannot directly compare those tapes (what is better: apple or pear?) - RMGI is pure BASF technology and made on BASF equipment. We tested it much  - this is 100% vintage BASF tape in sound and technology as it is. Some our clients like more vintage Maxell due to special tape look and distinct sound. But RMGI is in production and it is available for ordering. This is always great to have a choice.