TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Older pre-recorded tape problems???  (Read 7222 times)

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Older pre-recorded tape problems???
« on: September 27, 2007, 01:11:13 PM »
I have a fair number of pre-recorded classical tapes. Most are large scale choral works by Bach, Berlioz, Handel, etc. Actually, I had never in the past given any thought to tape shredding and other problems that might befall these older formulation tapes. What concerns should I have as I again begin to enjoy these tapes on my newly refurbished Tascam 32B tape recorder? Bottom line, am I worried about nothing? Thanks so much for all responses.

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline heideana

• View Profile
Re: Older pre-recorded tape problems???
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2007, 06:20:30 PM »
I don't think you'll be able to play your pre-recorded tapes, unless their the 2-track type from the 50's....most pre-recorded tapes are in 4-track format and the 32B is a 2-track machine, unless you had a 4-track head installed?
Studer A810 and Otari MTR-15...Klipsch CWIII's, KG2's & RF7's

Truth is a kind of error, so vaporize it to find your way to heaven, or at least to a smile...

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 02:06:19 PM »
Thank you for the note. I do have a Tascam A-7300 four track machine. However, I just wondered if these older pre-recorded tapes would shed and present other problems for my tape recorder?

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 06:15:51 PM »
It really depends on the tape and how it was stored on sticky shed. I've been pretty lucky and have only one tape that I really liked that had that problem. It was a Phillips recording duplicated by Ampex in 1973. Actually, it was unopened when I bought it about a year and a half ago. I listened to it many times before it left a sticky mess all along the tape path. After several cleaning (with regular head cleaner) the deck was fine. I think with just about any older tape you'll get some oxide deposited on your heads the first couple of times you play it. After that, normal amounts of deposit will be found. For a while there, I was buying tapes hand over fist. I just had enough time to play them once, add leader, and give each one a quick grading for future reference. I was having to clean the heads after 5 or 6 tapes. Now, I clean them after 10-15 tapes and there's hardly any residue at that. I'm sure it was up to the different labels as to which tape they sprung for with their r2r editions. So even though Ampex duplicated for lot of them, they may not have all been getting the same tape spooled. Yeah,.. there were bean counters back then too.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades