Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: # and types of machines owned  (Read 7478 times)

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
# and types of machines owned
« on: September 14, 2011, 10:31:04 PM »
Quote from: Red Grant on Today at 05:53:09 AM

Well, I took it upon myself to move my comment to a new thread rather than hijack the other one.
Hoarding is _such_ a harsh word...

Quote from: Listens2tubes on September 12, 2011, 08:19:43 PM

I've got 5 5050s 3 BII-2s no room to set up another.

Wow!   So you're a hoarder.      I only have 2 Pioneer RT-2022, and 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe as far as RTRs are concerned. 

We could start a  new thread for number of R2R machines currently owned or owned in one's lifetime.
I might win the prize for sheer numbers of machines on this forum.
I actually have lost track of how many I have. Now, as to their _working_ condition, that's another story....
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: # and types of machines owned
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 09:40:54 AM »
Not sure if this is reason for bragging rights or to be committed to a mental institution, but a casual count this morning revealed 75+ machines around here in various states of disrepair. Not to mention the wire, cartridge and cassette machines.
Aiwa,  Akai and Arvin to Webster Chicago, Westinghouse and Wollensak with many odd names in between like Cypher and Freeman.
Little 3" reel non capstan machines to pro and prosumer machines. 2 track mono to 16 track. From the very late 40s to the very late 70s and perhaps a few into the 80s. Mostly 60s era portable stereo 1/4 track machines that were self contained.
Steve Williams

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 11:45:19 AM »
Holy Cow!

I knew you had a lot of 'em,.. but that's way more than I would've ever guessed.
Dusting around your place must be a nightmare!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 07:48:18 PM »
Now I don't feel so bad about forgetting a deck or 2. Actually I may feel a little envy for Steve's collection.
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 11:33:50 AM »
Holy Cow!

I knew you had a lot of 'em,.. but that's way more than I would've ever guessed.
Dusting around your place must be a nightmare!

Dusting???

I really need to at least photograph some of the unusual ones and get them online. The Yahoo R2R forum has some old photos of some machines from my last "pre-purge" collection, some of which got away (like the rare Denon and the Newcomb I gave to my friend Len in LA) before the latest buying "binge" of the past 4 years.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/reeltoreel/photos/album/1944554177/pic/list

BTW, the unit in my photo on here is a Craig 5" stereo battery machine, which actually does work and was used to record the jams for "greenskyyy" here -
http://www.myspace.com/music#!/greenskyyy
(I'm the one in the middle)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 11:47:28 AM by steveidosound »
Steve Williams

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
OH, MY!!
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 06:57:11 PM »
Not sure if this is reason for bragging rights or to be committed to a mental institution, but a casual count this morning revealed 75+ machines around here in various states of disrepair. Not to mention the wire, cartridge and cassette machines.
Aiwa,  Akai and Arvin to Webster Chicago, Westinghouse and Wollensak with many odd names in between like Cypher and Freeman.
Little 3" reel non capstan machines to pro and prosumer machines. 2 track mono to 16 track. From the very late 40s to the very late 70s and perhaps a few into the 80s. Mostly 60s era portable stereo 1/4 track machines that were self contained.

I don't even think Ki has that many ;-)
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: OH, MY!!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 11:15:13 AM »

Yes, but I think all of his are very nice pro machines and probably work perfectly to beyond original specifications... :-)

So,  I still want to hear from people extolling the virtues of unusual machines that they somehow have acquired 6 or 7 of because they love them.
BTW, I sort of have the opposite problem. In several cases I have 2-3 non-working machines of the same model that I intended to make one good working one out of. That is one reason my total count is so high. I have 3 Bell RT-360s, for instance, which is an interesting and rare machine my uncle gave me my first one of when he was through with it and it was about 10 years old and I had just graduated from high school - close to 40 years ago!
There is another one on eBay right now and I am having trouble resisting it...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Bell-RT-360-Reel-Tape-Recorder-Sound-Audio-/310341995059?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4841d30a33
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 11:42:35 AM by steveidosound »
Steve Williams

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
Re: OH, MY!!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 12:06:19 PM »

Yes, but I think all of his are very nice pro machines and probably work perfectly to beyond original specifications... :-)

Oh, to be Ki - sigh -
Sam Lucero
SPQCV

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 10:14:18 PM »
I qualify as a hoarder when it comes to cassette decks.    5 Eumig Fl-1000ups, 8 Advent 201s, and I've lost track of how many B&O and Grundig cassette decks I have acquired.

Btw.   I collect cassette decks because cassettes are less vulnerable to sticky, oily fingers, and one can't even get custom heads made for cassettes so as parts.

Hyok (Tony) Kim,  yes, this is my real name.

Btw.  How do you know it's my real name?  Just because I say so?

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.