Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Roller bearing guides' effect on the 'longivity' of the tapes............  (Read 5966 times)

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
I understand how it could improve the sonics.    Since there would be less 'scraping', would this imply that the durability of the sonic signature of the tape be 'significantly' improved  compared to fixed guides?

Hyok (Tony) Kim,  yes, this is my real name.

Btw.  How do you know it's my real name?  Just because I say so?

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Roller bearing guides' effect on the 'longivity' of the tapes............
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 12:00:14 PM »
Yes. Take a look at the fixed guides after the tension arm rollers on a heavily used RS1500 and you will see flat spots on the fixed stainless bushings, where the moving tape has been rubbing and wearing it down. The bushing is also wearing the tape surface, burnishing it at the very least and likely it is removing some oxide with each pass.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Tim Leggett

• Loud Listener elsewhere....
    • View Profile
Re: Roller bearing guides' effect on the 'longivity' of the tapes............
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 09:28:57 AM »
Yes. Take a look at the fixed guides after the tension arm rollers on a heavily used RS1500 and you will see flat spots on the fixed stainless bushings, where the moving tape has been rubbing and wearing it down. The bushing is also wearing the tape surface, burnishing it at the very least and likely it is removing some oxide with each pass.
Yes, my RS 1520 had that issue. One of the guide sleeves was almost worn through!
Tim Leggett
VPI Aries 3 - SDS - Super Platter - Periphery Ring Clamp - Phantom Tonearm,  Ray Samuels XR-10B,  Benz Micro Glider H2 & Ebony 3H, Antique Sound Lab AQ-1001 DT, Vandersteen 2Ce - Triangle Celius 202, Technics RS-1520, Ampex ATR-102