TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Adding leader at the beginning and end of pre-recorded tapes...........  (Read 4889 times)

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
I didn't want to hijack the thread, so I'm starting a new one.

If you're collecting the 2 track versions of these releases, be sure and add plenty of leader at the beginning and end of each reel since they are acetate backed and will have become brittle with age.

Would the practice of adding leaders at the beginning and the end of non-acetate backed pre-recorded (or for that matter blank) would hurt, help, or  not matter?

Hyok (Tony) Kim,  yes, this is my real name.

Btw.  How do you know it's my real name?  Just because I say so?

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Adding leader at the beginning and end of pre-recorded tapes...........
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 12:06:46 PM »
Yes,..for a few reasons.

Anything that keeps the recorded portion of the tape from being "handled" while threading it onto the machine. Just like vinyl, dust is the enemy of tape (that's where many drop outs come from). The oils from your skin will "hold" dust particles to the tape surface not to mention any other contaminant that could be transfered to the tape by touching it (remember that fluids get on the tape back, they'll be transfered to the oxide side when the tape is wound).

Another reason is that if a tape machine is going to go whacky on you, it's most likely to do so when it first starts rolling the tape that's threaded on it.
Now there's usually some "dead air" before the music gets going on a commercially produced tape, but adding leader gives you a more reasonable safety margin.

Speaking of safety margins, another practical advantage to using leader on all recorded tape is if your hold down tape gets loose and the tape un-ravels, the first few winds become vulnerable to several problems (dust, cupping etc). Although, the tape will often keep un-raveling and just about no length of leader will insure that the recorded portions won't get damaged, it does help.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
Re: Adding leader at the beginning and end of pre-recorded tapes...........
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 12:52:36 AM »

Anything that keeps the recorded portion of the tape from being "handled" while threading it onto the machine. Just like vinyl, dust is the enemy of tape (that's where many drop outs come from). The oils from your skin will "hold" dust particles to the tape surface not to mention any other contaminant that could be transfered to the tape by touching it

That's one reason why I wear surgical gloves whenever I handle RTR tapes and LPs, or am I being paranoid?

Sometimes when I am not into 'serious' listening, and don't want to go through the 'ritual', I just pop in the cassette.

Hyok (Tony) Kim,  yes, this is my real name.

Btw.  How do you know it's my real name?  Just because I say so?

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.