TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Tape Speed Fluctuation on my Studer A810  (Read 7123 times)

Offline analogman

• View Profile
Tape Speed Fluctuation on my Studer A810
« on: September 26, 2011, 08:01:40 AM »
My Studer A810 which has less 800 hours on it, is now exhibiting issues where the tape speeds - it starts fluctuating when printing a mix.  I know this is some times a capstan motor issue, but I find it hard to believe this deck should be having a mechanical issue like this with so little use and wear. 

My tech has been out once already and adjusted tensions per the manual and recommended me to get a new pinch roller - which I did.  My friend who owned this machine before me installed a varispeed module long before I bought it - this may not matter, but I thought I'd mention it.  I've read the analog rules website and there sounds like there is a lot to refurbish on these machines, but I am hoping there is an easier fix here.  I plan on bringing out my tech again, but am concerned with how much $$$ I throw at this machine. 

Anybody have this problem or know what to do?  Please advise.  Thanks.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Tape Speed Fluctuation on my Studer A810
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 12:37:41 PM »
Hi analogman (please read the "forum rules". We use our real names on this forum)

It would be a good idea if you went into a little more detail on the problem.
For instance;
Is the tape speeding up, slowing down or both?
How much variation in speed are you experiencing?
Did the problem start all the sudden or could it have been getting worse slowly?

Are there any other issues with the transport (is this one just the worst)?
Has the machine always had this issue since you've had it?

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline analogman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 07:17:43 PM »
It's slowing down, not speed up.  Sounds pretty slow to me.  That's all I'm experiencing.  No other issues.

The problem just started happening. I've owned the machine for about 3 years.

I'm running at 15 IPS.

Didn't know about the real name thing.  I will change that soon here.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:19:25 PM by analogman »

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 08:32:08 PM »
The first thing I'd do is thoroughly clean the tape path and try a different tape (particularly if the other tape was Ampex 456).
Tapes with Sticky Shed can slow or even stop a machine dead in it's tracks.
While you're cleaning the tape path, make sure that all the rolling guides are turning freely.

Next, check to be sure that one of the brakes isn't dragging. If your machine has an Edit function, it should disengage the brakes (and pinch roller). With the brakes disengaged, try turning the reels (you can do this without any tape threaded). If one of the brakes is dragging, you'll feel resistance as you turn the reel or reel turntable.
If that's the problem, examine the brakes. They may only need to be adjusted.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline analogman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 04:52:29 PM »
Hey, next time my tech comes in I'll have him look at it.  I've had some people say it could be an open cap?  Check the phase loop lock adjustment?

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 06:36:51 PM »
Yeah, it could be a cap but I aways "rule out" the "free" stuff before I take out any real tools (lazy and cheap!).
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline SvampeBob Firkant

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 10:31:29 AM »
Steve,

you've mentioned 'cleaning the tape path' as a possible solution of the problem.

Is there any procedure/advice as to how and with what kind of tools/fluids maybe this action shall be done?

I am almost sure this is described somewhere in this superb Forum, but I did not find it yet. Guess you, being 'Leader in spreading info' can be of help. :-)

All the best to all Forum Members!
Robert Kaminski

Analog & Tube' oriented one

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 10:43:30 AM »
Hey Robert,

There's a pretty decent cleaning post on the second page of the Beginner's Guide located in a sticky above the General Forum.
In fact, if you're new to reel to reel, you should probably read the Guide.
Regarding cleaners, I usually use alcohol on a day to day basis but if I suspect something like sticky shed, I use Laser Media head cleaner from US Recording Media.

http://usrecordingmedia.com/
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 01:23:39 PM »
Steve,

Many thanks. Will now spend some time reading this :-)

Greetings to all Forum Members!
Robert Kaminski

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 06:51:12 PM »
HE'S READY, HE'S READY, HE'S READY to clean the tape path.
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 01:15:54 PM »
I'm ready, I'm ready, I'm ready - not only to clean the tape path, but also to enjoy The Tape Project experience soon :-)

All the best to Forum Members :-)

Robert Kaminski