Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Anyone know or use LAST Tape Head Treatment  (Read 8007 times)

Offline TommyTunes

• View Profile
Anyone know or use LAST Tape Head Treatment
« on: September 28, 2007, 03:03:21 PM »
Looking for some feedback.
Thanks
Thomas Caselli

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
Re: Anyone know or use LAST Tape Head Treatment
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 01:49:14 PM »
I've been using both the tape head treatment and the Tape Preservative. No ill effects that I can detect. The tape preservative gets excess oxide off the tape surface. Both can be purchased directly online from the Last Factory. I have been using Last products, mostly the record preservative (Formula 2) for about twenty years. 
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 07:05:11 AM »
This brings up a good topic.

What products are people using for cleaning heads and rollers?

David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 11:28:57 AM »
On a tip from Richard Hess' website I have started using naptha on the metal parts of the tape path - but not on the pinch rollers. 91% isopropyl alcohol works well on pinch rollers and can certainly be used instead of naptha on all the other parts.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline dwilawyer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 12:36:33 AM »
This brings up a good topic.

What products are people using for cleaning heads and rollers?

David

Use Xylene for tape heads.  Do not use alcohol on your heads unless you know for sure that the manufacturer has approved it.  Alcohol can cause the deterioation of the cement/binder in the head causing permanent damage. 

For pinch rollers I like the Caig rubber cleaner, I believe it is CaliClean.  Works great, and will not dry out some rubber compounds.

Travis

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2007, 02:27:52 AM »
I use Laser Media head cleaning solution ( I think it's L100). From the smell, it has naptha in it. Most of the time, I just clean the rollers with distilled water and every once in a while, S-721H from American recording Tech..It smells like MEK. After cleaning with that, I use Rubber Renue by MG Chemicals. And that smells like spearmint. If you mix them all together, they taste kinda like Jagermeister (just kidding, do not put any of these in any opening of your body and yes, that includes your belly button!).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades