TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Sonny Side Up  (Read 4034 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Sonny Side Up
« on: September 30, 2011, 12:36:18 AM »
Here's a vote for some of the labels that are part of the Universal Music Group (Verve/Impulse in particular).
I'm a big fan of both of these labels but I'm listening to "Sonny Side Up" at the moment so that's what I'm suggesting.

Dizzy Gillespie, Sonny Stitt and Sonny Rollins recorded the four cuts in 1957. This is one of the classic blowin sessions on record and it's absence on reissued vinyl has me stymied. Rumor has it that Dizzy did his best to feed the flames of rivalry between the two tenor players before they faced each other in the studio. And aside from a nicely laid back rendition of "Sunny Side of the Street", it would appear that Gillespie's groundwork paid off handsomely.
Now I realize that some may say that this sort of rivalry has no place in the Arts but I'm here to say that what "should be" and "what is" are two entirely different things.
In this case, whatever the reason, the listeners of these sessions are the clear winners.

Of course, there is such depth in the Verve catalog that I could go on and on about my favorite Ella, Armstrong, Hawkins, or Peterson but this is a standout that has been neglected for too long (analog wise).

Regarding Impulse, the house that 'Trane built, there's so much more there than John. I caught the tail end of a discussion of Impulse at Monterey this year and if I had to do it again, I'd be sure to attend it from the start.

So, lots of great stuff in the UMG vaults. Let's get in there!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades