Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: The Sermon First Listen  (Read 13741 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
The Sermon First Listen
« on: October 11, 2011, 09:29:03 PM »
I was waiting when the UPS man delivered this today (they almost aways come between 4 and 6 pm for some reason).
Within an hour, I had Jimmy and the gang making beautiful music in my living room.

I should preface this with the fact that I've heard parts of this on a couple of occasions. Once during a get together at 1340 Mission and again at Bottlehead HQ during a visit.
All told, I've been aching to play this one for at least a year and man-o-man,.. was it worth the wait!
Everything about this tape just makes me sink into my seat and enjoy!
From the amazing personnel, to the smooth, full sound. As a jazz fan, there just isn't anything more I could ask for.
In a word, this TP release is simply beautiful!

I know that these things don't just happen, so thanks to Paul, Romo, Dan and Piper for caring.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 11:01:08 PM by High and Outside »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
Re: The Sermon First Listen
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 10:04:10 AM »
I also got mine yesterday afternoon. As a non-jazz fan, I can agree with Steve. Other than at Dan's home a couple of years ago, I had never even heard of Jimmy Smith and his B3.  For me this was a fun album. Great sonics, natch. But it was tuneful playing of some great standards, even the very extended (20 min) "The Sermon". The improvisations were enjoyable, particularly the guitar solos and, of course, the B3. Not like late Coltrane :-).  Also, with the added material, the total run time was just about 60 minutes, making it, I believe, the second longest release, after the Arnold Overtures. 

Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline kipdent

• View Profile
Re: The Sermon First Listen
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 11:19:40 PM »
This tape, as Steve states, was worth the wait. Simply beautiful. Beautiful!

Kip
Kip Peterson
Vintage-centric system with Apogee Acoustics Scintilla ribbon loudspeakers, Micro Seiki RX-5000 turntable and other odd bits of tube and solid state gear. Now a proud owner of a Studer A80 RC Mk II tape machine!