TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: I don't listen to my own advice  (Read 7278 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
I don't listen to my own advice
« on: October 02, 2007, 12:23:04 AM »
I was reading a post regarding some bad experiences buying prerecorded tapes on Ebay. Several posters gave some good advice. Like buying from sellers that sell a large number of tapes ( so they have a stake in keeping and getting regular bidders), sellers with good return policies, and buying from people who have listened to the tapes they sell. All excellent advice that I've given several times both here and there. Well, I received a tape today. None of the above was true with this purchase. When I opened the package, I could see that the cover is in VG condition. The tape itself would be Mint>VG visually but you know how that goes. So after playing it, it's sonicly flawless. My first Blue Note too. Jimmy Smith " I'm Movin' On" ( with Grant Green and Donald Bailey). Not the most dynamic jazz tape I have but not shabby. On top of everything, I was the only bidder so,.. $9.99! I low bid on a few jazz tapes every week 'cause most go for over twice what I'd consider borderline crazy. So, if it gets overlooked somehow ( like this one) cool, and even if it's a train wreak, I'm not out much. Time to buy some lotto tickets!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Re: I don't listen to my own advice
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 01:47:51 PM »
Well my friend, I am not a lotto man because I don't believe in luch. However, reading your note here about the purchase of pre-recorded tapes is interesting. Recently I have purchased a fair number of these tapes, but have not had an opportunity to play them all yet. The ones I've played so far have been flawless. Of course as I expressed concern in another post that these old tapes may pose a problem with shedding. Although that does not appear to be the case so far. I am sure that some of these old tapes were recorded using Ampex 456 and the like which has had some problems.

I do agree that one has to be careful and probally buy from a large tape seller who certainly has to maintain some semblance of good customer service!

Bob W.
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline intell

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 03:11:43 PM »
Best regards! Anton

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 08:33:26 PM »
As I've said many times, one of the main contributors to how well a tape sounds, is how careful the owner was. Not necessarily the previous owner because in most cases, the seller is just that. Someone that buys large lots of tapes from schools, radio stations, libraries and private parties. Many don't know what they have, let alone, the condition of the tape itself. Who they got them from will seldom be known ( except for name stickers in/on the boxes) but you can make some pretty good guesses ( especially with the smaller sellers). The type of tape is pretty obvious but things like marks from a personal cataloging system on the spine of the box is also good. With listings with pictures of the tape in the box, many folks wrote, either on a sticker on the reel or the inside of the top, where on side 1 the music starts. It's great when some of the sellers dribble out a collection slowly enough that you can actually receive a tape and audition it while others are still being listed. When I see a seller with some of the higher priced stuff (1/2 track RCA/Mercury) I'll bid a little more than usual and have it shipped quickly before the next listings end. Of course this sounds great in theory, but lately, there's been some bidders with much deeper pockets than mine and my big bid is chump change to them. These guys are going to get what they want. I just get out of their way and let them buy their collection in a couple of months. Me,.. I prefer the hunt.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades