TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Athan Roller for Otari 5050  (Read 7086 times)

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
Athan Roller for Otari 5050
« on: October 27, 2011, 07:45:28 PM »
I just bought a replacement pinch roller from Athan in SF for my 5050 B3 1/4" machine.  It came today and it is much larger than the original roller, with just enough gap between the capstan and roller to fit the tape. Also, when I replace the cap on the roller with the original one and tighten down, it prevents the roller from turning. Seems to work fine without the cap. Is this right?  Thanks, Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
Re: Athan Roller for Otari 5050
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 06:55:04 PM »
Hi Larry,

So, one doesn't send in the original pinch roller, which is then rebuilt by Athan?
I'm afraid it would bother me if I couldn't replace the cap :-(
Have you inquired of Athan, directly?
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline bobschneider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 09:26:10 PM »
I didn't have those issues with the pinch roller I bought from Athan for my Otari MX5050 B3-2 a couple of years ago.  I'd get in touch with Athan.
Bob Schneider

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 02:47:36 PM »
Hi folks,
It turns out that I had ordered the 5050 B2 roller, and not the 5050 B3 roller that I needed. I am going over to Athan tomorrow and exchange the rollers.  The B2 roller is quite a bit bigger than the B3 roller, though both have the same interior opening.   Thanks, Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 04:22:06 PM »
Good deal Larry,
I figured it was something like that.
It could be interesting to check out Athan in person (maybe take a few pictures for us?).
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 06:54:55 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
Voila ;-)
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 06:52:58 PM »
Hi folks,
It turns out that I had ordered the 5050 B2 roller, and not the 5050 B3 roller that I needed. I am going over to Athan tomorrow and exchange the rollers.  The B2 roller is quite a bit bigger than the B3 roller, though both have the same interior opening.   Thanks, Larry

Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 10:33:14 AM »
Sorry I didn't see Steve's post about pictures before going over there. George makes very high precision replacement parts, like the pinch roller. I got the replacement for the B3 and it fits and works great.  He said that he needed to clarify the ordering process on the website so the B2 and B3 rollers clearly differentiated.  George has a quite large facility in South SF, near the airport.  Several very fancy $100K+ lathes. Nobody else was there yesterday, so I don't know how many people work there.  I think he makes a lot of stuff to order.

Thanks, Larry

Offline pederb

• View Profile
    • Vinyl Pussy Cat Records
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 05:27:24 PM »
Sorry I didn't see Steve's post about pictures before going over there. George makes very high precision replacement parts, like the pinch roller. I got the replacement for the B3 and it fits and works great.  He said that he needed to clarify the ordering process on the website so the B2 and B3 rollers clearly differentiated.  George has a quite large facility in South SF, near the airport.  Several very fancy $100K+ lathes. Nobody else was there yesterday, so I don't know how many people work there.  I think he makes a lot of stuff to order.

Thanks, Larry

Larry,

Do you have his contact information?

Never mind I found it http://www.athan.com/

Cheers
-Peder Beckman-
Adagio Audio & Music
Vinyl Pussy Cat Records