TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Happy Thanksgiving!  (Read 2841 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Happy Thanksgiving!
« on: November 24, 2011, 12:48:42 PM »
Greetings fellow tape lovin' folks.

Last year I promised to remind all the Tape Project subscribers of the importance of "exercising" our beloved tapes at least once a year.
If you didn't read that post, the reasoning behind this is to minimize storage issues such as print through. And while print through is theoretically highest during the hours immediately following recording the sounds onto the tape, the length of time that the layers of tape are in intimate contact with it's adjacent windings are just as significant.
There are other issues of long term storage that can damage a tape and many of those are related to the winding pressure that applies force with each layer of tape and draws them toward the center of the the reel.
Now, I'm not saying that if you don't "exercise" your tapes that some damage will happen. In fact, the guys have chosen tape stock with characteristics that minimize long term issues like these.
I simply don't see a reason to take any chances.

What I'm recommending it that once a year we go back and play all of our Tape Project tapes.
If you're anything like me, a few tapes get very heavy use while others are seldom played. And sometimes I play one tape so freakin much that I get "burned out" and it gets neglected for a while. And as a result, I know that there are a couple of titles that I haven't played in the past year.

The holidays seem like a great time to play TP tapes all day long back to back. Each one is a gem and of course the sound is amazing, so do yourself (and your tapes) a favor and join me in a Tape Project feast!
And whether you do or not, have a wonderful Turkey Day!

So, here comes Jacqui Naylor and turkey stock.

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades