TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Where can I source replacement tape heads from?  (Read 9447 times)

Offline muzboz

• View Profile
Where can I source replacement tape heads from?
« on: November 28, 2011, 06:40:45 PM »
Hi guys, great to find this site!  I have various tape related projects in mind, and it's great to find a community of experts to run dilemmas by!

My current issue is sourcing a new set of 4 tape heads for my Watkins Copicat Mk II echo unit.

Could anyone recommend where I could find some heads that are:

Resistance 400 Ohms
Inductance 450 mH or higher

That would be magical!  :)

I can get a full set from John Beer at www.amp-fix.com, who is the Copicat master of the known universe, but they're very expensive (165 pounds for a full set of 4, plus insured shipping to Australia).  I'm keen to buy a decent second hand pair, or source a cheaper new set, if possible.  Any help would be much appreciated.

I've attached an image of the sort of heads I'm after, taken from the bottom of John Beer's page of spare parts here...
http://amp-fix.com/copicat_spare_parts.htm

Murray Lorden
www.punknewwave.com
www.muzboz.com

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Where can I source replacement tape heads from?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 07:05:40 PM »
Hi Murray,

Welcome to the forum.
I guess my first question is, are you sure you need "new" heads or is it possible that they could be relapped.
Check out the JFR site and maybe email them to let them know what your needs are.
I believe they have the largest inventory of recorder heads in the USA and they may have Nortronics heads that would fit your needs (probably depends on the tape width and/or the size of the cans).

BTW, IMHO 165 pounds isn't that much divided by 4 for a new set of heads.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline muzboz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 07:51:49 PM »
Thanks IronBut! 

I've asked JFR Magnetics for a quote for relapping, and whether they have the appropriate heads for me.

And yes, maybe I just need to buy the heads from John Beer, especially as I know they're the correct ones, and come with the brackets to fit and everything!

CHEERS!

- Murray

Offline muzboz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 09:57:32 PM »
I've attached a photo of my machine, and specifications for the heads I'm looking for, just in case anyone has a source for them, or some old heads lying around, or anything!  :)

Do you guys think these heads look too beat up for relapping?

- Murray

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 01:03:23 AM »
Looks like the heads labeled 1&2 are toast. When you can see the gap opening up it means that they are worn out and have to be replaced.
After seeing the way everything is set up (BTW, very cool unit!), I would advise you to get the exact replacements. It doesn't look like there are provisions for much adjustment so having heads with the exact shape and size is going to make a huge difference in the way the unit sounds.

When it comes to magnetic tape, the interface between the tape and head makes all the difference in both sound and head wear. Not enough intimate contact and there will be signal loss. Too much contact will skew the frequency response and increase head wear.
The contact also needs to be as consistent from the top of the tape to the bottom so the head needs to be level in regards to the tape or there will also be signal loss and "uneven" head wear.

Considering these issues and the relative lack of head adjustments (compared to a regular tape machine), I think it would be well worth getting heads which are proven to work. Sure, you might be able to find some other heads with the right specs for a little less money but you might be in for tens of hours of hair pulling to get them to fit properly if at all.

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline muzboz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 02:23:16 AM »
Thanks IronBut,

I am definitely leaning more and more towards just buying the appropriate heads.  I think you've pretty much sealed the deal for me.  :)

Thanks for weighing in with some solid examples of how the right heads can really make a difference! 

- Murray