TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: James Brown "Soul On Top" 120Hz hum.  (Read 4479 times)

Offline intell

• View Profile
James Brown "Soul On Top" 120Hz hum.
« on: December 05, 2011, 05:52:43 PM »
Hello all.
Got this tape (GRT made KING 0032-1100), and it has noticeable 120Hz hum, I have about 150 pre-records, and only this tape got this type of defect.
Should I search another exemplar? Or they all sick with it?

Anton.
Best regards! Anton

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: James Brown "Soul On Top" 120Hz hum.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 06:30:37 PM »
I'm going thru a couple hundred 4 track pre records right now and I find that lots of them have very noisy backgrounds - hum and multiple layers of hiss. If you listen right from the head of the reel you can hear the quiet unrecorded head of the tape, and then the duping machine starts to record and it usually ain't pretty. Doesn't get much better when the master starts to roll. Chances are 120Hz was on the running master, as 120Hz picked up by a slave while recording at 8X would play back like 15Hz. You could probably determine the source by listening to the very start of the tape as I have described here.

Add edge curl and the associated left channel drop outs, brittle tape, occasional dull highs and channel imbalance - I can't say that I find the major fraction of 4 track pre recorded tapes particularly exciting to listen to. But when you get a good one it can be quite a pleasure.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline intell

• View Profile
Re: James Brown "Soul On Top" 120Hz hum.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 07:25:38 PM »
Thank's docb.
Hum is on running master, this tape is rare, only couple I see on ebay last year.
So if another batch with different running master did not exist, look for another does not make sense.
Best regards! Anton