TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: 'Liquid Bearing'.......  (Read 4872 times)

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
'Liquid Bearing'.......
« on: December 10, 2011, 01:13:49 AM »
Has anyone of you used this?    Is this a real deal or just a 'snake oil'?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230526996268?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
Hyok (Tony) Kim,  yes, this is my real name.

Btw.  How do you know it's my real name?  Just because I say so?

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: 'Liquid Bearing'.......
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 03:45:24 AM »
Hi Red,

I've bought some before and it was just too thin a lubricant to be useful for what I wanted it for (lubricating motor shafts and turntable bearings). I just continued to use Mobile One synthetic motor oil and the "Liquid Bearing" just sits on the shelf along with about 20 other lubricants I experimented with. For thin oils, I use "Zoom Spout Turbine oil" and it seems to work very well. Thinner oils have a tendency to migrate to areas where you don't want it.
The one place that I do think that this oil is useful is on plastic gears in things like laser sleds in disk players. I use a tiny paint brush to apply a "film" on the nylon gear teeth and it seems to work well there.

If you're considering using oil to rejuvenate ball type bearings, my experience says that that's a waste of time. Of course, someone told me the same thing years ago but I still had to find out myself. Bearings wear and no lubricant can make the balls round again or the races smooth. They should be replaced and not fixed.

So, is it the "real deal"? I guess it depends on what you wish to use it for. From my experience, there's no magic lubricant.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
Re: 'Liquid Bearing'.......
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 09:18:07 PM »
For thin oils, I use "Zoom Spout Turbine oil" and it seems to work very well. Thinner oils have a tendency to migrate to areas where you don't want it.

Yes, that's what worries me.   For the same reason, I am very careful with pinch rollers.   In fact, as soon as I clean the rollers, I dry them with hair dryers, but not too long, since I don't want to dry them out, either.

Btw. I do this in a 'clean' room, meaning, I use negative ion generator to drop as much dust in the air down and vacuum them.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 09:20:45 PM by Red Grant »
Hyok (Tony) Kim,  yes, this is my real name.

Btw.  How do you know it's my real name?  Just because I say so?

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.