Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Which machine to keep, which to sell... Ampex ATR-102 / Nagra T?  (Read 12689 times)

Offline parrot

• View Profile
Which machine to keep, which to sell... Ampex ATR-102 / Nagra T?
« on: December 19, 2011, 04:10:26 PM »
I just came into an Ampex ATR-102 that has various upgrades from Precision Motorworks (Capstan, Heads, their Xiron Electronics).  I currently have a Nagra T that I have owned for nearly the last 10 years and has seen little use.  My collection has both acetates as well as many tapes stretching back into the 60s.  My decision on which machine to keep needs to take into consideration both the sound quality as well as its capability to gently handle the older tapes.  My challenge with the Nagra is that I do not have the meter bridge so adjusting the output level is difficult.  I know its a tough decision as both machines are stellar performers.  Opinions?

Joe H.

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Which machine to keep, which to sell... Ampex ATR-102 / Nagra T?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 05:34:59 PM »
I own both. Both are great tape handlers and sonically they are pretty close. If I was going to keep just one for personal use I would keep the ATR. Its only disadvantage relative to the Nagra is portability. But you can still get all of the parts for an ATR and you can also convert it to 1/2". Neither of these things is possible with a Nagra T.

BTW we appreciate members posting their names as per the forum rules.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline parrot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 09:38:15 AM »
Converting to 1/2" is a non-issue as my entire collection is 1/4".  Do you have a solution for adjusting the output level of the Nagra without the meter bridge? 
Joe H.

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 01:07:29 PM »
Not sure if you mean level going out to your system, or eq adjustment. There are switches on the repro cards for setting the output level range, and of course there are level meters on the repro cards that would be usable for adjusting the eq trim.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline parrot

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 03:37:17 PM »
Not sure if you mean level going out to your system, or eq adjustment. There are switches on the repro cards for setting the output level range, and of course there are level meters on the repro cards that would be usable for adjusting the eq trim.
Sorry, I should have been more clear.  Many of my tapes are Dolby A and the output levels always need slight adjusting to match the reference dolby tone on the tape.  I can either adjust on the dolby or on the Nagra but both have a little trim screw to do it with.  The Ampex has an output level control that makes it easy to do.
Joe H.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 04:49:42 PM »
Hi Joe,

If you're using a Dolby Labs 361 (or similar) to decode your "A" encoded tapes and you wish to tweak the levels for each tape (some folks just find a happy medium and live with it), I suggest you modify the detachable front panel and mount a 25kohm input pot. The stock ones (either little blue or black ones) aren't anything special and the 91 series Bournes do just fine (if you wanta get fancy, PEC makes a small 25k pot which is nice but 4x the price).
Just wire the new pots to the interface circuit board (use stranded wire since it may get bent several times and give yourself enough slack so the front panel and cat.22 card can be removed if needed).
That way, you can take the Dolby out of the equation and just pick the best tape machine.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline parrot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 05:10:18 PM »
Hi Joe,

If you're using a Dolby Labs 361 (or similar) to decode your "A" encoded tapes and you wish to tweak the levels for each tape (some folks just find a happy medium and live with it), I suggest you modify the detachable front panel and mount a 25kohm input pot. The stock ones (either little blue or black ones) aren't anything special and the 91 series Bournes do just fine (if you wanta get fancy, PEC makes a small 25k pot which is nice but 4x the price).
Just wire the new pots to the interface circuit board (use stranded wire since it may get bent several times and give yourself enough slack so the front panel and cat.22 card can be removed if needed).
That way, you can take the Dolby out of the equation and just pick the best tape machine.
Didn't realize it would be this easy all these years.  It looks like the PECs are around $10 per pot.  Would these also work on the Dolby B decoder (can't remember the model # but its earlier than the 422 and later than the 361)?
Joe H.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 05:41:26 PM »
Yes, the pots on the Dolby Labs Model 330 can be replaced. It's just a little tighter so you have to be careful about placement and pot/knob size (if you need knobs). Just be careful to leave room next to the knurled panel screw (not that I've ever done that !).

Also, be aware that the PEC's come in a couple of versions. One has a 5/8th inch shaft with a small diameter(1/8th inch IIRC). The other has almost no shaft but is meant to be adjusted with a screwdriver.

Oops,.. almost forgot to tell you to mount the pots a little lower than center. The encode/decode switch is right under there too.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 05:48:24 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 06:15:17 AM »
Yeah,

Problem with the Nagra's, especially the T appears to be - they are fine if they work OK, but FORGET trying to get them repaired when they "brake" (unless you want to take out a second mortgage) .  Horror stories on other forums - unless something has changed.  Too bad!

Charles