TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: NAGRA T-Audio 30 IPS  (Read 11261 times)

Offline cosmogato

• View Profile
NAGRA T-Audio 30 IPS
« on: December 11, 2011, 12:40:04 PM »
Hi everyone.
I've been offered a Nagra T-Audio TC reel to reel recorder and I'm going to test it this week. I haven't got clear if it's capable of recording at 30 ips. It'll be used in a recording studio for mixdown purposes.
Any info aprecciated.
Adding some pictures.

Offline cosmogato

• View Profile
Re: NAGRA T-Audio 30 IPS
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2011, 12:44:44 PM »
More pics

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2011, 01:09:34 PM »
Yes a T-Audio can run at 30ips. You really should have a manual for it as there is some complexity in the initial setting up of playback and record EQs and speed settings via various button combinations and rotary switch settings on the plug in cards and you may need to make some component changes on the plug in cards for the proper record EQ.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 04:54:17 PM »
Doc B is correct, Nagra T Audio is capable of 30 ips speed.  However, based on photos you had posted and if the legend for speed selection on your pushbutton panel matches with four diffenent settings for your Speed/EQ interface cards, your machine is configured for top speed of 15 ips (38cm/s) at A and C settings and can't do 30 ips in its current configuration.

You need the schematic to modify the Speed/EQ cards for CH1 and CH2 for A or C setting (since they are the same) to operate at 30 ips.

Ki
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 11:01:53 PM by Ki Choi »
Ki Choi

Offline cosmogato

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 09:56:20 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I'm studying the manual at the moment so I'll try to configure A and C settings for 30 ips and see how it goes. Looking forward to hear a mix printed with this beauty.

Offline cosmogato

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 04:09:59 AM »
Tested the machine and sounds beautiful at 15ips. I managed to change the speed to 30ips but clearly the eq needs tweaking, too much top end, so I suppose if I want that we'll need further component change. At least I know 30 ips is working. All appears to work well. Just had an Error 7 message (memory battery low) so no big deal. Doing some final tests today but I think I'm going for it.
I wonder about heads, cause this these are the TC ones with 2mm for each track. Is it difficult to find a non TC repro/rec/erase replacement to benefit of the extra 0,7 mm in each track? I wonder if this heads are unique for the Nagra T- Audio or where used in other Nagra R to R.
Thanks for your help guys.

David H.

Offline parrot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 09:32:43 AM »
Just had an Error 7 message (memory battery low) so no big deal.
Did you figure out what to do about getting rid of this error?  I recently started getting the same error code and wanted to fix it.
Joe H.

Offline cosmogato

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 04:52:56 AM »
Just had an Error 7 message (memory battery low) so no big deal.
Did you figure out what to do about getting rid of this error?  I recently started getting the same error code and wanted to fix it.
There's a 3V CR2NP  battery under the TC board. I've only checked it's there, I suppose replacing it will make the error dissapear. To access the battery you have to pull out the TC board releasing first the connector coming from under the board. Then pull gently. Everything is quite packed over there so I suggest buying the battery first so you have to do the move just once.
Hope this helps.
David H.

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 12:59:35 PM »
Hi David and Joe:

Here's what you need:

www.mouser.com

Mouser #: 639-CR12600SE-T

Mfr. #: CR12600SE-T COMP-3-1 SOLDER TABS

Manufacturer: FDK Batteries (Formerly Sanyo)

Desc.: Electronic Battery 3V 1500mAh

Price: $9.65 ea.

For other Nagra T owners,

As soon as you disconnect the battery, the RAM loses all the codes and data loaded at power up and user entered values.  Sometimes it could be a good thing as Hani found out to clear out the corrupt data.  The machine will load factory defalut parameters and operational code at power up.   But if you don't want to lose the set up data, I would suggest you get a battery holder with two AA batteries and temporarily solder in parallel with the Nagra battery before removing the old battery.  You would solder in the new battery and desolder the AA batteries and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

Ki
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 01:05:23 PM by Ki Choi »
Ki Choi

Offline hafrse

• Hani George Freiwat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 03:14:29 AM »
Hi David and Joe:

Here's what you need:

www.mouser.com

Mouser #: 639-CR12600SE-T

Mfr. #: CR12600SE-T COMP-3-1 SOLDER TABS

Manufacturer: FDK Batteries (Formerly Sanyo)

Desc.: Electronic Battery 3V 1500mAh

Price: $9.65 ea.

For other Nagra T owners,

As soon as you disconnect the battery, the RAM loses all the codes and data loaded at power up and user entered values.  Sometimes it could be a good thing as Hani found out to clear out the corrupt data.  The machine will load factory defalut parameters and operational code at power up.   But if you don't want to lose the set up data, I would suggest you get a battery holder with two AA batteries and temporarily solder in parallel with the Nagra battery before removing the old battery.  You would solder in the new battery and desolder the AA batteries and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

Ki
Hi,
If the error code did not clear after replacing the battery, the main suspect will be the RTC Real Time Counter with RAM IC  (UK5 MC146818 http://www.cpcwiki.eu/imgs/b/b5/Mc146818.pdf   ) on the same board as the battery. It does two functions, responsible for the internal Time Code generator and holds the setup values data  in its internal memory which powered by the backup battery. This can be easily taken out from its socket and widely available for about 5 USD.
If the battery is bad, it is widley recommended to wait for 5 min until the large "backup"  capacitor C15 discharges (or you can shorten the "backup" capacitor be 100% sure) before installing the new battery, this will eleminate the possibiliy to have  corrupted values in the RTC RAM.

Good luck!
Hani-George
Hani George Freiwat

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 07:36:41 PM »
Hi Hani:

Thanks for the info on the CMOS chip.  I think you are the Nagra T expert!

Happy Holidays!

Ki
Ki Choi