Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Otari MX 5050 b2HD Heads Relapping  (Read 7767 times)

Offline twinbugles52

• I hope they value his society-Mark Twain
    • View Profile
Otari MX 5050 b2HD Heads Relapping
« on: February 20, 2012, 01:29:20 AM »
Greetings all:

I aquired a used MX5050 B2HD recently, and it has been well used, but all functions perform as they should. During teardown for service, I noticed that the Record and both Reproduce heads had considerable wear, a finding verified by the techs at Inner Sound in Portland, Or. They advised me to send them to Sprague Magnetics. I contacted Sprague Magnetics, and was informed that they no longer did head relapping for RTR machines, but a tech that used to do them in-house now has a business doing head relapping.

His name is John Austin. Contact info is: [email protected], or call 818-523-7487

John quoted me a price of $50 per head for relapping. I sent him the entire head stack, which he evaluated, informing me that the heads had about 50% wear, and were able to be relapped, which he did to the 1 record head and 2 reproduce heads, for a total of $150 + $15 shipping to return them. The price included laser realignment of the heads. Turnaround time was 1 day!
I will post again when the deck is back together.

Is it OK to post pics? If so, I will include some later.

Cheers!
Bill
Bill Hurley
Retired Fire Captain
Collector of vintage audio equipment
Otari MX-50, 2 MX5050 B2HD, Revox A 700,  Akai GX-635D, Pioneer Rt 1020L, RT 707, Tascam 40-4

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Otari MX 5050 b2HD Heads Relapping
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 12:09:17 AM »
Sounds great Bill.
Do you know if he does other reel to reel repairs?

Please provide the city where John is located. While it isn't a big deal to ship a head or two, it might make a difference to some members.

I hope you won't mind but I moved this thread here so it won't get buried like it would in another forum.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades