TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: tape baking  (Read 9358 times)

Offline Arnold_Layne

• View Profile
tape baking
« on: October 13, 2007, 07:10:55 PM »
I recently acquired some rather rare reels. They were made back in the early to mid 80's. They are two track master dubs, and irreplaceable. I've noticed there's some shedding and I have a feeling the tapes will need baking. I would rather not risk ruing the tapes baking them myself, so I'm looking to find a business that can bake and transfer reels professionally. Any recommendations?

Steve

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: tape baking
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 08:02:19 PM »
Here's the man himself   http://www.richardhess.com/tape/index.htm
He will employ the best technique to restore it and make a dub in any format you like.
BTW this site is packed with vital tape info. It and Jay McKnight's site   http://home.comcast.net/~mrltapes/ should be required reading for all things tape.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 10:50:50 AM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Arnold_Layne

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 03:09:42 PM »
Thanks Ironbutt. I see Mr. Hess will not transfer tapes of copyrighted material unless the owner of the tapes is the copyright holder. These reels are of commercial material but the material was never released in this format to the general public. I will email him but I doubt he will transfer these for me.

Steve Bennett

Offline mstcraig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2007, 06:51:58 PM »
I would try Steve Puntolillo at SoniCraft. If you check his website out (http://www.sonicraft.com), he has a whole section on tape baking and restoration you can read. He currently has tapes from me he is transferring, one of which needs to be baked (1980's Ampex 456-yuk!) Give him a shout. Craig
Craig Sypnier
(Magnepan, VPI, Sumiko, Shure,
Belles Research, ReVox (A-77 and B-77), Scully 280-B, Teac A-2300SD, Nordost)

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
Re: tape baking is not rocket science...
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2007, 07:26:22 PM »
especially for mid 80s Ampex 456 or 406. All you have to do is stick them in an oven at around 130 degrees for a few hours. I'd recommend getting the temp to 140 degrees and turning off the gas; then stick the tapes in for at least 3 hours.Do not go over 140 degrees. It is probably safer to bake them at 125-130 degrees for 6-8 hours. I used to use a lab oven and that worked well. Scotch 250 was much harder to deal with- I'd leave that to a pro. I've 'baked' and re-baked hundreds of tapes over the last 15 years. I have one old 406 tape from 1980 that I've baked at least a half dozen times and it still plays fresh and clean.

Rich Brown
Portland, Oregon
Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 07:13:51 PM »
I would try Steve Puntolillo at SoniCraft. If you check his website out (http://www.sonicraft.com), he has a whole section on tape baking and restoration you can read. He currently has tapes from me he is transferring, one of which needs to be baked (1980's Ampex 456-yuk!) Give him a shout. Craig
Wow Craig, I don't know how I missed it before but, that is a very cool link! Thanks. Talk about an embarrassment of riches. That guys got some cool machines at his disposal. Some great articles too.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline mstcraig

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 09:30:38 PM »
You bet he does, Steve. I'm going down to his facility to pick up my tapes that I loaned to him, and take a tour sometime before the end of the year. I will definitely fill up at least a 2GB SD card on my camera, I'm sure!  What's really scary is that all his hardware looks like it just came out of the box!! For an all analog guy like me, this is the ultimate wet dream COME TRUE. I will share pictures with the group upon my return. Happy Thanksgiving. Craig
Craig Sypnier
(Magnepan, VPI, Sumiko, Shure,
Belles Research, ReVox (A-77 and B-77), Scully 280-B, Teac A-2300SD, Nordost)