TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: WTD: To buy/rent/borrow an Otari MTR-12 Extender Card  (Read 5294 times)

Offline joe-electro

• View Profile
WTD: To buy/rent/borrow an Otari MTR-12 Extender Card
« on: January 07, 2012, 10:55:35 PM »
Hello fellow tape enthusiasts,

I'm new here but I *LOVE* old tape machines, especially reel-to-reel decks. My latest obsession is a pair of Otari MTR-12's that I got for a song, but they both need some TLC. One is a 1/4" 2-track and the other is a 1/2" 4-track.

If anyone can help me find an extender card to buy, rent or borrow I would appreciate it huge amounts.

Even if there's someone out there who would lend me their extender card for a week, that would work out fine. I'll return it promptly, treat it with extreme respect and pay shipping both ways of course.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Joe
When I have money I buy gear. If there's any left I buy food.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: WTD: To buy/rent/borrow an Otari MTR-12 Extender Card
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 11:44:18 PM »
Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum.
If you don't have any luck here, you should sign up with the Otari group on yahoo.
It isn't super active but there are several folks over there that have machines in the MTR series.

Here's a link;

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/otari_equipment/
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline joe-electro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 11:20:40 AM »
Steve,

Thanks for the tip on the Otari Yahoo group.  You're right when you say it's not very active. I signed up three weeks ago and still haven't received moderator approval :-)

Thanks again,

Joe

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 01:42:48 PM »
That's a long time!
Maybe just the holidays but I'd go ahead and try again. The reply could've gotten snagged by a spam filter (I've had that happen with list replies before).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 03:28:33 PM »
Joe,

Next time I get down to the shop I'll see whether I can find my extender for the MTR-20. Then we can start to figure out whether it will work in your MTR-12's. By the end of the week, I predict.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline joe-electro

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 07:07:31 PM »
Paul,

I massively appreciate that.  I'd love to own an MTR-20 also, and an ATR-102 and A-820 as well.  But the MTR-12's are feeding the obsession quite well at the moment.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!!!

Joe

Joe,

Next time I get down to the shop I'll see whether I can find my extender for the MTR-20. Then we can start to figure out whether it will work in your MTR-12's. By the end of the week, I predict.

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 06:17:56 AM »
Joe,

Just a thought - Have no extender but had to adjust the 7 1/2ips capstan gain on one of my 10's.  Needed to get to two internal test points to do so.  Found that there was actually plenty of room on the component side of the card to solder two jumper wires - and bring the other ends out and attach a scope to them.  A bit inconvenient but it worked.

Charles

Offline joe-electro

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 09:54:56 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I have a suspicion that the 1/2" deck is going to require quite a bit of attention since it doesn't have a capstan motor or headstack on it yet. The capstan motor is due to arrive tomorrow, and I can steal the headstack and guides off the other machine to test it out, but I think I'm going to need use of an extender card to get the thing going again. Too many adjustments required.

Thanks again,

Joe

Joe,

Just a thought - Have no extender but had to adjust the 7 1/2ips capstan gain on one of my 10's.  Needed to get to two internal test points to do so.  Found that there was actually plenty of room on the component side of the card to solder two jumper wires - and bring the other ends out and attach a scope to them.  A bit inconvenient but it worked.

Charles