TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: I can get you a better copy for cheaper...  (Read 20895 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: I can get you a better copy for cheaper...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 08:47:56 PM »
Yikes! Collectors are nuts! I hate the way they don't show the bidders now. I know a couple of guys that would have been going for it on that one. It bums me out when I can't give 'em grief when they under bid by hundreds!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 08:05:29 AM »
The bummer for me is that I'm trying to get some original LP covers for scanning, for the artwork for Waltz For Debby and Saxophone Colossus. There's lots of reissues out there of course, but then I would be scanning a cover that's a scan of an original cover. I asked over on the Vinyl Asylum for some help but no one responded. Anybody here got original LPs that they would be willing to loan me the covers of? I would happily overnight them back and insure them.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 05:54:41 PM »
I'll check with my pals this weekend. I'd think that Fantasy would have that kind of stuff on disk. Or maybe contact Chad Kassem over at Acoustic Sounds. He "seems" like a pretty nice guy ( at least when I'm buying stuff from him).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Chuck

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 11:09:08 PM »
I?m awestruck having held the original Waltz for Debbie session tapes in my hands. Listening to it I just could not believe how close Scott LaFaro was to the front of the stage and that couple with the clinking glasses were sitting at the end of the Camilla Room console. Paul Motian on the right, whispering with a drum kit - cool yet hot. I?ve always had this recording on my desert island list, now that I?ve actually heard it?spine tingling, breathe taking, stunning stuff. 
Found myself silently promising to do everything I could to get my system to the point where I could share this musical experience with my friends.
Doc, Romo and Paul where sitting there listening also, smiling to a man. I finally understood why these guys are working this hard and risking so much; they love the music and really enjoy sharing it with people who like music. Lucky us.

Regards to you all, Chuck
Linn LP-12, SME w/ Clearaudio Arum Beta S, Seduction phono stage, Foreplay III preamp to 300B Monoblocks (Parabee) and homebrew 3 way speakers. Current projects: Straight 8 line array speakers w/ ribbon tweeters and RS-1500 resurrection.

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 08:36:55 AM »
I'd think that Fantasy would have that kind of stuff on disk.

Yeah, we had the notion that cover art was saved when we started out, too. But none of the old artwork still exists - or at least no one knows where it is. And so everyone is stuck using scans of old covers. I ended up buying a Umax 2100XL scanner that will scan a 12" wide piece at pretty high res and bit depth. Even with that scanner the process is a bit of a challenge, as a scanner tends to add false contrast that you have to tune back out. Takes me several hours to get a scan of a cover looking just like the original, but without the wear marks.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Tape Project master dupes prove to be the bargain of 2007!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 08:51:54 AM »
That Waltz for Debby - "Very smooth and glossy appearance. Wear and tear around center hole. Very few scratches or scuff marks on eith side. Very light crackle and pop surface noise can be heard in background during play, not overpowering to music" - sold for $464.99

And now with the auction below completed I see no further reason for the need to justify $200 for a brand new, licensed master dupe...

Saxophone Colossus - "light scratches with surface wear" - sold for $262.57.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160167263499&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline caffeinator

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 01:49:42 PM »
Hey Doc,

I couldn't see a relevant to tack on this question, so I jumped on here since it's current.

Question is - are you still taking orders for the first year series, and if so, any idea if/how long that will continue?

thanks!
David Vaughan
Bottlehead and Incorrigible Tinkerer
Seattle, WA

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 02:56:28 PM »
Oh yeah, we are still taking subscription orders for 2007. We have subscriptions available at the moment, with new inquiries and subscriptions coming in weekly as folks find that we have completed the catalog selection. The duration of availability is unknown aside from the fact that we have a license for a very limited number of copies of any given album. I will certainly announce when we feel that stock is running low for a given album. The other factor, which is obviously less critical at this point, is that the licenses tend to be for a couple or three years max.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 03:40:16 PM »
I just spotted another Waltz for Debby. This one went for $548.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle

Offline caffeinator

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2007, 01:16:05 AM »
Hey Doc,

I do have a re-issue 'Waltz for Debbie' if that's any help - as re-issues go, it's mint.

later,

dave
David Vaughan
Bottlehead and Incorrigible Tinkerer
Seattle, WA

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2007, 08:48:39 AM »
Thanks Dave,

A couple of folks with pretty extensive collections have offered to help. So hopefully we are covered, so to speak...
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle