TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Lots of Quad Tapes  (Read 4945 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Lots of Quad Tapes
« on: January 30, 2012, 10:36:33 PM »
For you fans of quadraphonic tape, my pal Larry Jones has a bunch for sale on eBay.
Larry really knows his stuff and he has an excellent return policy ( he deals with classical lp's for the most part).

http://shop.ebay.com/polyphonyclassics/m.html
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: Lots of Quad Tapes
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:31:30 AM »
The Tomita tapes will go for a bundle. Added them to my watch list, but no money right now... Sigh...
His stuff is just MADE for surround mixes! The CD4 vinyl of these is always problematic and the less said about Q8 cartridges the better.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 03:25:59 PM »
I bid on the Tomita tapes (I actually had the 1/4 track versions of these when they were new).
I was outbid by $1 but who knows how high the other guy would've gone. I think my max was $27.50 or close to that.

For the most part, I usually keep my ebay collecting to the really old stuff.
I missed out on some mono RCA (1/2 track) a few weeks ago. I really wish that I'd bid a little higher since I seldom see mono tapes from the majors. One went for just under $50 while the other "warhorses" went for close to $100. Really not bad for tapes that have been listened to and considering their rarity.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 06:50:13 PM »
There should be a thread or IM chain of those of us bidding on tapes. I'm sure some of us are bidding against each other.
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 07:41:43 PM »
That's a good idea in theory Neal.
I've tried to do that a few times but it never worked out.
I think that so many of us are impulse buyers for the most part and don't want to add an extra effort to the equation.

You may have a better grasp on what it may take to do this sort of thing. Maybe twitter or something else quick and dirty?
Or maybe I'm just not the sort of guy you need for this sort of thing. I'm so cheap that I give up long before most other collectors would. In which case, if someone were to "bow out" of the bidding on my account, they could easily be disappointed at what a low bid I gave up at. In which case they might think to themselves that if they were also bidding, at least one of us would have gotten the tape.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Listens2tubes

• Reel Analog
    • View Profile
    • Listens2tubes
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 08:58:41 PM »
Hmm, finally a use for Titter I can actually make use of. Steve you mad genius! Does this mean I need a smart phone? Cause mine is no genius but may get smarter if I upgrade my phone plan. Nah! I must resist! I'll just keep saving for a TH subscription.
Neal - Ampex Fineline F-44, 3 - Otari MX5050BII-2, Revox A77 Mk II , Teac A 4010s, 4070, Sony TC102A, Magnecord 1020, Systemdek IIX/Dynavector Karat 17D2MKII, CEC CD3300 CDP, K Works NanoMax DAC, Van Alsine Transcendence Eight+ tube preamp, Dynaco MkIV amp pair, Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v1