Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Hope From the Younger Generation  (Read 13820 times)

Offline Asamel

• View Profile
Hope From the Younger Generation
« on: January 31, 2012, 09:42:21 PM »
First of all the new Shins album is available on reel tape. 

Check out reflections on recording from the band Marah:

http://www.marah-usa.com/index.php

Bruce in PA

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: Hope From the Younger Generation
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 12:06:33 AM »
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 02:11:15 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on this!

I haven't decided if I'll order the tape but I did have fun playing with the reel to reel graphic on their homepage (the VU's respond to changes in the output volume, it will play in reverse and you get the chimpmonks on fast wind!).

Here's the link

http://simplesong.theshins.com/
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Asamel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 08:51:33 AM »
Not up to Tape Project standards but I felt I had to support the effort!

Bruce

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 09:44:38 AM »
Pondering what they might be doing for limited run duplication. Can't find any info on that yet.
It occurs to me that a couple (few) 4 channel / 4 track slave decks running at 15ips (2X both sides at once) would be fairly efficient for the smaller quantities needed and could have reasonable quality.
If it takes off somebody might have to set up a dupe line of some sort again.
One could only hope.
Steve Williams

Offline zaphod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 12:57:41 PM »
.... but I did have fun playing with the reel to reel graphic on their homepage (the VU's respond to changes in the output volume, it will play in reverse and you get the chimpmonks on fast wind!).

yeah, but i accidentally pushed the record button on the reel to reel graphic and erased about 30 seconds of music 2 minutes in from leader.

sorry.
Lance Bailey
--
walk gently. leave a good impression.

Offline CanoeShop

• View Profile
    • Now The Morning
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
Relatedly, the record company/studio I'm affiliated with will be recording an analog album and releasing it on reel to reel sometime likely this year. Being a smaller company, we do have some gear limitations, and being largely of the aforementioned "younger generation" our experience with analog recording is still being fine tuned. We may not hit Tape Project quality, in other words, but will do our best. We will certainly aim to include a 10.5 15ips 1/4" 2 track release (maybe we'll even see if we can get it on 468), and can promise as compelling a musical performance as we can muster. I can't wait to get started... More details to follow...

« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:35:18 AM by CanoeShop »
Nick Barr
Artist, father, husband.

Otari MX5050>Bottlehead S.E.X. amp>DIY Voigt Pipes

Offline zaphod

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 12:52:49 PM »
just took a listen to the clip on your studio's home page. nice stuff. i could see that being a late evening favourite.
Lance Bailey
--
walk gently. leave a good impression.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 01:37:39 PM »
Hi Nick,

Looking forward to hearing all about it.
Be sure and keep us posted (start a new thread and post pictures and text about the journey if you have time).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline TomR

• View Profile
The Shins
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 10:57:03 PM »
FWIW, the Shins are receiving a huge amount of air time and positive feedback from KFOG here in the Bay Area.   DJs love 'em.

Tom
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline CanoeShop

• View Profile
    • Now The Morning
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 04:02:22 PM »
Found this on my doorstep this morning already... It sounds pretty good through my basic system (MX-5050 BII > Bottlehead S.E.X amp > Voigt Pipes) clearly superior to cd sound quality. Not having heard Tape Project tapes (yet) I'm not sure I have the language for comparison. Just thought you'd all enjoy getting a look at it...

-Interestingly, in the packaging there is no mention of where or how the record was made - whether it is simply a digital bounce or not. All I've found online after a brief search is that it was recorded "over the course of 2011" in L.A. and Portland.
Nick Barr
Artist, father, husband.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 09:40:11 PM »
Got my "Port of Morrow" tape today too. Nice packaging and the tape seems very nicely made (RMGI 911?)
Sounds like it might be a combo of analog and digital (tough to tell since so much could be sent through some kind of processor before it before it got to the mixer).I'm sure better ears than mine can make a more educated guess than me.
 I believe that analog/digital is the story with the studio they usually use too.

http://supernaturalsound.com/

I do like the picture of the guy kowtowing to the Studer 800! (oops, guess that's a JH24)

I'm enjoying it so far, but it's hard for me to be objective since I have such high hopes for future tape releases from other current performers.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 10:19:07 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 01:11:22 AM »
BTW, do you other guys who got the Shins tape have the number 120 on the back next to the bar code?
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline CanoeShop

• View Profile
    • Now The Morning
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 07:39:39 AM »
Mine says 134 next to the bar code.

Many of the sonic elements on the album certainly sound digitally produced or manipulated to my ears. Not a critique - just trying to understand the source.
Nick Barr
Artist, father, husband.

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 09:37:27 AM »
BTW, do you other guys who got the Shins tape have the number 120 on the back next to the bar code?

Mine is due to arrive Friday. Will look and let you know.
Steve Williams