Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Hope From the Younger Generation  (Read 13819 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Hope From the Younger Generation
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2012, 11:42:45 AM »
Must be the serial number. I'm sure that there are quite a few tapes that are sold as part of whole collector's package and a number of them went to folks who are friends/associates of the band/producer. Still, it would seem that enough have been sold to make other bands/producers take some notice.

I agree that some of the sound is probably digitally manipulated at some stage. For anyone who's seen much live music lately, it's rare these days to not see at least a few computer monitors sprinkled around a stage. Of course that's nothing new for stuff like keyboards but I would guess that live vocals with stuff like Exciters is pretty common.

I asked some questions on their Facebook page so we'll see what they say.

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Grant99

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 10:47:30 AM »
BTW, do you other guys who got the Shins tape have the number 120 on the back next to the bar code?

Hi Steve, mine says 92 on the back, so it looks  like it is indeed the serial number.  BTW, I cut up the download slip (the paper with the download code on it) and glued it to the reel as a label.  It looks spiffy!  Myself,  I don't like the idea of "unlabelled" reels of pre-recorded tapes...it's like asking for a recording "acccident" or what!
Grant Thrasher
audio/LP/tape hobbyist
Otari MX-5050 BIII, VPI-19/SME IV, MFA Magus/MFA D75 amp/McAlister EA-8 amp/Stax OA2 & SR-404/Coincident Millenium Spks/Nak Dragon/Marantz PMD520/Sony KA1ESA

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 10:55:58 AM »
That's an excellent idea Grant and a great point about having an unlabeled RMGI reel!
I do sometimes have a few 7" reels out of their boxes. I think I'll run over to Office Depot and get some labels and print the track names on it and stick it to the reel somewhere.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 06:29:03 PM »
BTW, do you other guys who got the Shins tape have the number 120 on the back next to the bar code?

Mine is due to arrive Friday. Will look and let you know.

It's hear ! (to quote an old Electrovice speaker spoof) 
finally, at about 5:10  PM
My s# is 048
How did you make the download paper art fit the reel? Would be nice to have a label with the tracks on it.

Same style reel and back-coated tape as the "Magic Hero vs.  Rock People" indie release of a couple of years ago. Theirs was  @ 3 3/4 ips.  for some "lo-fi" reason.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline Grant99

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 06:57:33 PM »
My s# is 048  How did you make the download paper art fit on the reel?[/quote]

It's called cutting it up to fit!  Am I technologically advanced or what?  Seriously, though, Steve's idea of a track listing is great.  If you don't want to cut up the download paper to fit the reel why not scan the graphics from the front cover and cut that up? 
Grant Thrasher
audio/LP/tape hobbyist
Otari MX-5050 BIII, VPI-19/SME IV, MFA Magus/MFA D75 amp/McAlister EA-8 amp/Stax OA2 & SR-404/Coincident Millenium Spks/Nak Dragon/Marantz PMD520/Sony KA1ESA

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2012, 07:25:28 PM »
Steve,

Those are the 7" reels that RMGI uses. I did a visual comparison with some 911 and 468 and it looks like 911 to me (a totally unscientific and casual look so I could be wrong).

I'm planning to just copy and paste something from their web site and print it on self adhesive labels (I'm sure there will be plenty of trial and error so I'll do tests with plain paper).
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2012, 07:25:52 PM »
It's called cutting it up to fit!  Am I technologically advanced or what?  Seriously, though, Steve's idea of a track listing is great.  If you don't want to cut up the download paper to fit the reel why not scan the graphics from the front cover and cut that up?

Ha! :-)  I just meant I could not figure out how to position it on the reel without covering up something important on the reel or cutting out a lot of their nice graphic. Closest I could come was positioning it over the blank plastic area where there is a slight indentation for a smaller label. Still, you would have to notch it pretty severely for the reel windage holes. I thought perhaps you plopped it right over the center and made a hole for the spindle. Bit it is kind of big for that space too. Perhaps I am over-thinking this.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...