Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: MCI JH-110b 1/4" 2-track - I can get it for $600 - pics/vids inside  (Read 3579 times)

Offline ResonantMind

• View Profile
Is this a good deal? Can snag it for $600, looks cosmetically mint, it spins, it makes sounds, it seems to have been treated well... some grit on heads (?).

Is it possible to upgrade it to 1/2" or even 1" by changing the rollers? I already bought a 4-track head I want to upgrade it with.

http://www.2shared.com/file/V0S7mG2c/MCI_JH110b.html

*edit*

Viewable pics here: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/695387-mci-jh110b-1-4-2-track-can-get-600-pics-video-inside.html
Videos are still in the above zip though

thanks for any tips
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:49:43 PM by ResonantMind »

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: MCI JH-110b 1/4" 2-track - I can get it for $600 - pics/vids inside
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 02:33:31 AM »
I posted a response over on your thread at gearslutz.

Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 06:29:40 AM »
I have had two 110's; a full one (which is now at a local recording studio) and a transport (only) which I use most every day.  The transport was originally for playback only and I added a Nortronics quarter-track head (fits in the MCI holder perfectly) so I could play those few pre-records I have.  Heads are wired out to my electronics.  Transport is very good except finicky (all analog servo circuitry will all those connectors that can go "squirrelly").  Takes about 3 minutes to change from 1/4" TO 1/2" if you have the rollers/guides/headblock.

Now for the dirty little secret - MCI used Bogen R/P heads and they are WONDERFUL.   

Charles

DO love the tape handling of the Otari MTR-10 tho -

Offline Bblue9

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:34:15 AM »
Overall, how is the audio quality of the record and repro sections of these machines?

--Bill