Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: MCI JH-110b 1/4" 2-track - I can get it for $600 - pics/vids inside  (Read 1898 times)

Offline ResonantMind

• View Profile
Is this a good deal? Can snag it for $600, looks cosmetically mint, it spins, it makes sounds, it seems to have been treated well... some grit on heads (?).

Is it possible to upgrade it to 1/2" or even 1" by changing the rollers? I already bought a 4-track head I want to upgrade it with.

http://www.2shared.com/file/V0S7mG2c/MCI_JH110b.html

*edit*

Viewable pics here: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/695387-mci-jh110b-1-4-2-track-can-get-600-pics-video-inside.html
Videos are still in the above zip though

thanks for any tips
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 11:49:43 PM by ResonantMind »

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: MCI JH-110b 1/4" 2-track - I can get it for $600 - pics/vids inside
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 02:33:31 AM »
I posted a response over on your thread at gearslutz.

Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 06:29:40 AM »
I have had two 110's; a full one (which is now at a local recording studio) and a transport (only) which I use most every day.  The transport was originally for playback only and I added a Nortronics quarter-track head (fits in the MCI holder perfectly) so I could play those few pre-records I have.  Heads are wired out to my electronics.  Transport is very good except finicky (all analog servo circuitry will all those connectors that can go "squirrelly").  Takes about 3 minutes to change from 1/4" TO 1/2" if you have the rollers/guides/headblock.

Now for the dirty little secret - MCI used Bogen R/P heads and they are WONDERFUL.   

Charles

DO love the tape handling of the Otari MTR-10 tho -

Offline Bblue9

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 08:34:15 AM »
Overall, how is the audio quality of the record and repro sections of these machines?

--Bill