TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: technics rs1700 tape counter  (Read 3736 times)

Offline tandyman

• View Profile
technics rs1700 tape counter
« on: February 08, 2012, 02:57:04 PM »
Have been putting off fitting new belts to tape counter.Is there a short cut to fitting them,can they be done frome rear of machine without to much dismantling.  Thanks for the reply below.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:52:47 PM by tandyman »
johnc
sony tc-766, tannoy kensington spks, luxman turntable, sme, shure vmr, sugden ia4 amp, oppo player, sat radio.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: technics rs1700 tape counter
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 01:36:00 AM »
Hey John,

IIRC, you do have to release the inside end of the reversing idler to replace that counter belt (there are two). I'm not sure if it can be done without removing the capstan motor. In any event, replacing them isn't trivial but still not super tough if you time your time and be very careful not to damage the capstan or bend any of the levers that are in the area.
Years ago when I realized that I never really use mine and the belt started to screech, I just cut the belts and live without the counter. In the 3 years since I did that, I think I can count the number of times I would liked to have had a counter on one hand.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades