TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Studer A80R 1/4 INCH Cant Record.  (Read 4159 times)

Offline poulb

• View Profile
Studer A80R 1/4 INCH Cant Record.
« on: February 11, 2012, 12:32:07 PM »
Hi evrebody. I was wondering if someone her has a hint as to what could be wrong with my   studer a80r 1/4 inch  the one with the litle montor   no meters,  it wont record.  i have signal thru to the monitor  record button lights up in record mode but nothing cums on the tape,  it just erases  ,  it plays prerecorded tapes fine,  i can hear the ralays on the ozilator board klicking in when i hit record mode, the mashine was like this when i got it. the guy  i bougt it from  told me  it suddenly wouldnt record.  apart from that evrething seems to be fine.  ive mesured the suply voltage to the audio mother board and stabilizer  and its within spec.  i have the idear that its not getting a signal from the record button i am no audio tech so mabye a im compleatly wrong, i have acces to the service manual online, studer has a free site, you probely know that, thanks for enny info     bjorn    denmark

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
Re: Studer A80R 1/4 INCH Cant Record.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 04:38:13 PM »
plus you spel funy

Offline poulb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 05:35:25 AM »
Sorry about the spelling, I will try to improve on that. I am danish . Hope its not to bad.  I am a collector of reel to reel.   best regards.

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 06:39:43 AM »
Thank You:

Have you checked all the record cards carefully.  I found a shorted B+ filter capacitor on a record board that burned out a dropping resistor and basically "took down" the whole board.

Good Luck

Charles

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 12:45:35 PM »
Hi Poul,

Welcome to the forum.
I would suggest that you subscribe to the Yahoo Studer Group and pose your question there. There are a great many A80 owners and repair techs that subscribe to it and you should find more in depth help with your problem (such as "what" caps should be used to replace bad ones in a given position).

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/STUDER/

There's also the Studer list which you'd do well to follow;

http://recordist.com/studer/
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades