Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Otari MX 5050 b2HD Heads Relapping  (Read 7762 times)

Offline twinbugles52

• I hope they value his society-Mark Twain
    • View Profile
Otari MX 5050 b2HD Heads Relapping
« on: February 20, 2012, 01:29:20 AM »
Greetings all:

I aquired a used MX5050 B2HD recently, and it has been well used, but all functions perform as they should. During teardown for service, I noticed that the Record and both Reproduce heads had considerable wear, a finding verified by the techs at Inner Sound in Portland, Or. They advised me to send them to Sprague Magnetics. I contacted Sprague Magnetics, and was informed that they no longer did head relapping for RTR machines, but a tech that used to do them in-house now has a business doing head relapping.

His name is John Austin. Contact info is: [email protected], or call 818-523-7487

John quoted me a price of $50 per head for relapping. I sent him the entire head stack, which he evaluated, informing me that the heads had about 50% wear, and were able to be relapped, which he did to the 1 record head and 2 reproduce heads, for a total of $150 + $15 shipping to return them. The price included laser realignment of the heads. Turnaround time was 1 day!
I will post again when the deck is back together.

Is it OK to post pics? If so, I will include some later.

Cheers!
Bill
Bill Hurley
Retired Fire Captain
Collector of vintage audio equipment
Otari MX-50, 2 MX5050 B2HD, Revox A 700,  Akai GX-635D, Pioneer Rt 1020L, RT 707, Tascam 40-4

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Otari MX 5050 b2HD Heads Relapping
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 12:09:17 AM »
Sounds great Bill.
Do you know if he does other reel to reel repairs?

Please provide the city where John is located. While it isn't a big deal to ship a head or two, it might make a difference to some members.

I hope you won't mind but I moved this thread here so it won't get buried like it would in another forum.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades