Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: 2012 All Analog Album  (Read 10823 times)

Offline CanoeShop

• View Profile
    • Now The Morning
2012 All Analog Album
« on: February 21, 2012, 05:09:51 PM »
As noted in another thread the small independent record label I am affiliated with is anticipating the recording of an entirely analog album to be released (via reel to reel - among other formats) in the not too distant future. It was suggested a new thread documenting the process be created.

As I mentioned, being a small organization (and admittedly new to analog recording), at this point we will be utilizing relatively pedestrian analog equipment (though pairing it with professional quality studio preamps and microphones stolen from our digital studio) but promise to deliver as compelling and musical a performance as we are capable of producing.

We started the project with the exciting and somewhat daunting task of acquiring actual analog equipment. To begin, we have procured an Otari MX5050 8-track, to utilize for multitrack recording. As the pinch roller rubber had long since disintegrated, the roller has been sent (today, in fact) to Terry in Michigan for a re-construction. We realize it isn't going to sound like 2" tape, but given our limitations, we felt this was a reasonable solution for multitrack recording. We hope to maximize any good qualities possible from the 1/2" format. I should add that the machine came with a Telcom c4 noise reduction unit. Please note in the attached picture, the 3M tape formulation is not what we will be utilizing - the reels came with the deck, and are just on for show, at this point.

Up next, likely building some custom cabling to comply with the unique XLR pin configuration. More to come.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:05:57 PM by CanoeShop »
Nick Barr
Artist, father, husband.

Otari MX5050>Bottlehead S.E.X. amp>DIY Voigt Pipes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 All Analog Album
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 06:05:58 PM »
Cool Nick!

I look forward to the next installment.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 10:09:30 AM »
As noted in another thread the small independent record label I am affiliated with is anticipating the recording of an entirely analog album to be released (via reel to reel - among other formats) in the not too distant future. It was suggested a new thread documenting the process be created.

What genre of music?

We hope to maximize any good qualities possible from the 1/2" format.

What speed? and 1/4 or 1/2?

Hyok (Tony) Kim,  yes, this is my real name.

Btw.  How do you know it's my real name?  Just because I say so?

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.

Offline CanoeShop

• View Profile
    • Now The Morning
2012 All Analog Album
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 06:45:38 PM »
We've begun making cables to run from our studio preamps into the Otari multitrack machine. The Otari is an unconventional 3-pin-hot (unbalanced) XLR input, and appropriate cables are being constructed to interface from more traditional balanced outputs.  We're slowly laying the groundwork to begin recording, though it seems far off yet.

Genre is always a difficult question to answer, partially because of subjectivity, and partially, because what we do doesn't fit easily into any one genre. For this album, the plan is to record something resembling... low-key british influenced rock with more american melodic sensibilities. I hesitate to use the word "ambient" because that always suggests something unfocused, and we do everything with the utmost intention and attention to structure and detail. That said, I think the tonalities of the instruments will be featured, and the emotion contained therein will play a role in the compositions. We'll also see what changes once we hit "record."

To clarify, we will be recording to 1/2" tape (8 track), and mixing down to (and ultimately releasing the album on) 1/4" two track at 15ips (though we may do an additional 7 1/2ips quarter track release if it is warranted).

More to come...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:22:06 AM by CanoeShop »
Nick Barr
Artist, father, husband.

Offline Red Grant

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 01:32:29 AM »

Genre is always a difficult question to answer, partially because of subjectivity, and partially, because what we do doesn't fit easily into any one genre. For this album, the plan is to record something resembling... low-key british influenced rock with more american melodic sensibilities.

Sweet, I gather then something like Phil Collins, or Bryan Ferry?   Btw.  I am a fan of British influenced rock.

I hesitate to use the word "ambient" because that always suggests something unfocused, and we do everything with the utmost intention and attention to structure and detail. That said, I think the tonalities of the instruments will be featured, and the emotion contained therein will play a role in the compositions. We'll also see what changes once we hit "record."

Oh, ambient is fine.   I like ambient music.

To clarify, we will be recording to 1/2" tape (8 track), and mixing down to (and ultimately releasing the album on) 1/4" two track at 15ips (though we may do an additional 7 1/2ips quarter track release if it is warranted).

More to come...

...and of course I assume that you would be using either RMGI or ATR tapes, not NOS tapes with possible/probably SSS.

Hyok (Tony) Kim,  yes, this is my real name.

Btw.  How do you know it's my real name?  Just because I say so?

2 Pioneer RT-2022, 4 Beocord 2000 deluxe, Beomaster 8000, 6000, 5000 (80's version), 4000,    Nikko Alpha III, Grundig RTV Receivers, Beovox  RL140 Speakers.

Offline CanoeShop

• View Profile
    • Now The Morning
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 04:57:25 PM »
Think British influenced as in EARLY Coldplay for example ("Rush of Blood" and before), or elements of Radiohead (though less electronic, likely).

It's been recommended to track with ATR-Magnetics, and we plan on releasing the album on RMGI (468 if at all possible). All brand new tape.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 06:13:55 PM by CanoeShop »
Nick Barr
Artist, father, husband.

Offline CanoeShop

• View Profile
    • Now The Morning
Purchasing Tape
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 11:14:38 AM »
Brand new ATR Magnetics tape has now been purchased for this project, largely on the recommendation of this community. Being unable to find the particular product I wanted through authorized dealers, I called the company directly and found them to be extremely friendly, and very accommodating.

Due to the fact that we have several metal reels lying around, we elected to purchase the 2500' of half inch tape as pancakes, winding it onto the old 3M reels (living in Minnesota, there are a few of them floating around - 3M is based here). Each reel wound very evenly, and gave us just over half an hour of capacity at 15ips.

After re-checking our equipment, we'll begin tracking.
Nick Barr
Artist, father, husband.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 01:47:48 PM »
Fantastic Nick,

Thanks for the update. You guys must be getting excited!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline CanoeShop

• View Profile
    • Now The Morning
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 03:12:41 PM »
Tracking is officially underway. At the risk of exposing ourselves, I will admit it feels like learning a new language. I understand how to communicate, generally, but none of the words are the same... I am watching meters instead of waveforms. I have to find the second chorus by time-code. "Punching in" feels much more literal, somehow.

We began by recording a 9' Mason and Hamlin grand piano in a venerable old Lutheran church - the sanctuary itself was built in 1889, and has a lovely natural resonance. Recording this album while watching the sunset filter through the 100 year old two-story-high stained glass windows feels appropriate somehow. We hope you'll agree.
Nick Barr
Artist, father, husband.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 06:49:23 PM »
Awesome picture Nick!
Exciting stuff to be sure.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 08:24:45 PM »
Hello Nick,

Thank you and your team for deciding to produce a tape. This is exciting for those few like myself who is still saving up our pennies to become official members of  The Tape Project.  And of course others will want to support your efforts as well. However, I am still confused about the type of music you and your team are working on. Can you direct me to a similar style of  music so that I can have a better idea of what to look out for? At any rate, I think what you are doing is admirable. Keep up the great work.

bob w.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:30:56 PM by rbwtapeinterlink »
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.

Offline CanoeShop

• View Profile
    • Now The Morning
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 02:21:12 PM »
Thanks for the interest in what we're up to - we're excited to share it with people, absolutely. Glad to hear you're "saving your pennies" for TP tapes - I suspect you'll find greater fidelity and certainly recognized-as-classic albums in their library. This project merely reflects our own interest in magnetic tape, and hopes to propagate open reel tape as a viable pre-recorded media in general. We do hope people find what we're doing interesting, and also what the Tape Project is doing interesting.

While this album won't sound identical to anything else that I know of (it will include elements completely our own, and of course be original compositions) you could say we'll be taking inspiration, if you will, from things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfJsrJ-lKGc

-stressing that this is only one point of reference, and will serve to generally inform our work, not be a template.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 02:24:03 PM by CanoeShop »
Nick Barr
Artist, father, husband.

Offline CanoeShop

• View Profile
    • Now The Morning
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 08:59:43 AM »
My sincere apologies to the community for our lack of communication, and lack of visible progress on this particular project. A brief update to bring you up to speed...

For any who have undertaken the recording of an entire album on their own (with therefore few restraints on material selection or time), there seems to come a point where you are forced to look at what you have, where you're going, and what you want the album to become. We are in the midst of this in regards to the tape album - a natural point of frank assessment in the creative process. Add to this that we're "learning" an entire new medium, and you have a decided lack of forward motion at this particular point. Not to mention I've relatively recently welcomed my first child into this world, and the words "free time" seem to be more or less memory for now.

I realize all this comes across as an excuse, and I don't mean it as such, precisely. Explanation, perhaps. In short, we have recorded an album's worth of material in rough form, and are now examining if our approach and material selection is the most likely to produce an album we're truly proud of. We still have a lot of work to do. Thank you all for your patience with us, as we navigate these new waters. We hope to have something more concrete to share with you soon. Be Well...
Nick Barr
Artist, father, husband.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 12:21:59 PM »
No apology needed Nick.
Thank you for the update and congratulations on the new addition to your family!
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 06:45:39 PM »
Hello Nick,

Remember, family comes first and work second.

bob williams
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.